What's new

AiMEsh questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Sims

New Around Here
Hello everyone, great forum

I have a few questions regarding the setting up of an AiMesh system.

I currently have an RT-AC5300 router as my main router and as of this morning, I have 2x RT-AC68U router to add as nodes. I was reading another thread on here where a couple of questions were asked and got me thinking

Questions are
I have read that the 68U's don't support smart connect, is this true?

I also read that on the AC5300 that all three wireless SSID's have to be the same is this correct?

If so how do we know what band each device is connecting to in terms of 2.4ghz or 5gh

Hello everyone, great forum

I have a few questions regarding the setting up of an AiMesh system.

I currently have an RT-AC5300 router as my main router and as of this morning, I have 2x RT-AC68U router to add as nodes. I was reading another thread on here where a couple of questions were asked and got me thinking

Questions are
I have read that the 68U's don't support Smart Connect, is this true?

I also read that on the AC5300 that all three wireless SSID's have to be the same is this correct?

If so how do we know what band each device is connecting to in terms of 2.4ghz or 5gh

Correct, the 68U does NOT support Smart Connect

With the current ASUS firmware on the AC5300 you will loose 5GHZ(2) Band it becomes Hidden for the AiMesh Backhaul, the Triband is still there if it is NOT in an AiMesh configuration.

You can see which band devices are connecting to by opening the node interface from the web GUI.

Last edited:
Correct, the 68U does NOT support Smart Connect

With the current ASUS firmware on the AC5300 you will loose 5GHZ(2) Band it becomes Hidden for the AiMesh Backhaul, the Triband is still there if it is NOT in an AiMesh configuration.

You can see which band devices are connecting to by opening the node interface from the web GUI.
Hi Neil

Thanks for the responce

Yeah i noticed on the AC5300 that the status of 5Ghz-2 have the following message "5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode.

If you want to change wireless settings, please go to here."

But it still shows up as an SSID on my phone and Ipad and as 5Ghz-2 and can be selected which my phone and Ipad are attached to at the moment

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!