What's new

AiMesh router cannot find node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The last time I helped a friend set up AiMesh, I encountered the same problem. After investigation, the cause of the problem was that he turned off the WPS of the main router, which caused the node to be unable to connect to the main router.

The last time I helped a friend set up AiMesh, I encountered the same problem. After investigation, the cause of the problem was that he turned off the WPS of the main router, which caused the node to be unable to connect to the main router.
Even with WPS turned off the add AiMesh node function turns WPS back on to search for and set up nodes. What is more important is to have the node reset to factory default and within 3 meters of the router or connected by Ethernet cable router LAN port to node WAN port.

Even with WPS turned off the add AiMesh node function turns WPS back on to search for and set up nodes. What is more important is to have the node reset to factory default and within 3 meters of the router or connected by Ethernet cable router LAN port to node WAN port.
I think the frustrating part is we've tried that many times. I've tried the node with stock fw and with merlin. Tried downgrading and upgrading fw to no avail. I wonder if there's a point where a node just can't be connected for whatever reason.

I had the issue of the main router (RT-AC68U) seeing the new node (RT-AC66U B1), but when I added it the process got to 1 or 2% and then failed with no reason given, but like 5 things to try. The problem was that WPS was turned off on the main router and it did not get automatically enabled. Once I enabled WPS the node added with no issues.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue, trying to add an AC66U B1 as a node to an AX86U main router and it's not seeing it. I feel like I've tried everything, it's just not working. I bought the router 2nd hand so it's possible it's defective, however it works perfectly fine in every other way. In router, AP and repeater modes it works just fine, I used recovery mode too to flash older firmware, still not working.

I also tried with an XT8 main and it didn't see it either, so the problem appears to be with the node, not the main router. It has to be a hardware fault of some sort, but everything else works perfectly, so I don't know... I guess I will just try to find another one.

What have you tried specifically? So we're not repeating ourselves here...

What have you tried specifically? So we're not repeating ourselves here...
Pretty much everything that's been suggested in this thread, I've tried putting the AC66U B1 within a meter of the main router, tried connecting via Ethernet, of course with the latest stock firmware, but also tried the latest version of Merlin as well as older stock firmware from 2021. Of course tried factory resetting it, also went into recovery mode and flashed the latest stock firmware that way, and also did the WPS button reset. I also tried reenabling WPS in the main router and tried completely shutting it off for a few minutes and turning it back on. But I'm pretty sure the main AX86U is not the issue because as I said an XT8 couldn't find the AC66U B1 either.

I guess that's about it, I could be missing something. With all of the above options I tried both wireless and wired discovery. No luck. :(

If you did those things one at a time, or randomly, you may still be able to get it to work.

• Enable WPS on main router.
  • Reboot the main router and check that WPS stayed enabled.
  • Put the node in the same room as your main router.
  • Flash the latest firmware you want to use on the node.
  • Perform a quick setup on the node to
    • 1) verify that the version you want is actually installed, and
    • 2) format the JFFS partition on next boot, then reboot the node/router 3 times in the next 10 minutes.
    • 3) after the node/router has booted up the last time, perform a full reset to factory defaults via the GUI. Be sure to check the box to 'Initialize all settings...' before you press the reset button.
  • After the router has rebooted (I'd wait 5 minutes or so for it do fully boot up), do not touch it. Do not connect to it, do not access its GUI.
  • From the main router, from the AiMesh tab, add the node.
  • If this doesn't work, test again by pulling the power plug from the node and connect via Ethernet cable with no switches or other devices between the main router and the node.
If the above does not work (and, I would try a few times with each method), then the main router is not working in a good/known state.

Use the following link to make a backup config file of your current setup, then, perform a full reset to factory defaults on the main router and test if the node connects then (with only a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP).

If the node still cannot be meshed, use the backup you created using the link above to get you back to where you are now.

If you did those things one at a time, or randomly, you may still be able to get it to work.

• Enable WPS on main router.
  • Reboot the main router and check that WPS stayed enabled.
  • Put the node in the same room as your main router.
  • Flash the latest firmware you want to use on the node.
  • Perform a quick setup on the node to
    • 1) verify that the version you want is actually installed, and
    • 2) format the JFFS partition on next boot, then reboot the node/router 3 times in the next 10 minutes.
    • 3) after the node/router has booted up the last time, perform a full reset to factory defaults via the GUI. Be sure to check the box to 'Initialize all settings...' before you press the reset button.
  • After the router has rebooted (I'd wait 5 minutes or so for it do fully boot up), do not touch it. Do not connect to it, do not access its GUI.
  • From the main router, from the AiMesh tab, add the node.
  • If this doesn't work, test again by pulling the power plug from the node and connect via Ethernet cable with no switches or other devices between the main router and the node.
If the above does not work (and, I would try a few times with each method), then the main router is not working in a good/known state.

Use the following link to make a backup config file of your current setup, then, perform a full reset to factory defaults on the main router and test if the node connects then (with only a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP).

If the node still cannot be meshed, use the backup you created using the link above to get you back to where you are now.
Thanks, I did all of this and still no luck unfortunately. 😔 But the issue is not with the main AX86U router, because I also tried it with an AX82U and an XT8 I have lying around and they didn't see it either. So the issue has to be with the AC66U B1. No big deal, I got it for next to nothing (probably because of this fault). It can still be useful as a router or AP/repeater. I'll just try to find another one to be an AiMesh node.

The weird thing is when I put it in AP mode or repeater mode, the AX86U sees it as a connected device, no issues. Or when it's reset and ready to add as a node and connected via Ethernet, the AX86U sees it as a connected device, but it still cannot detect it as a node. Very strange.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!