What's new

AiMesh router cannot find node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stretch

Occasional Visitor
I have an asus router with 2 aimesh nodes connected all fine however i've tried to add a third but for some reason when I do the scan on the router it never finds the node? I've reset the node more times than I can count changed positioning etc but still the same. Anyone else had this issue or ideas on how to solve it?

Router - AX68U Merlin firmware 386.2_6
Nodes - AC66U B1 Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae

I have an asus router with 2 aimesh nodes connected all fine however i've tried to add a third but for some reason when I do the scan on the router it never finds the node? I've reset the node more times than I can count changed positioning etc but still the same. Anyone else had this issue or ideas on how to solve it?

Router - AX68U Merlin firmware 386.2_6
Nodes - AC66U B1 Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae

Is it a new node? Are its radios broadcasting signals? Have you tried wiring it to add it to the AiMesh?

OE

Is it a new node? Are its radios broadcasting signals? Have you tried wiring it to add it to the AiMesh?

OE

Yes when I set the new node into wireless router mode it works fine and when in the aimesh setup mode it's also broadcasting. I did try wired but it didn't work but will try again, is it from lan port on the router to wan port on the node?

Try with an ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port of the AC66U_B1. I have had the same issue and doing it wired helps. Also make sure the firmware is up to date on the node and I recommend the Asus firmware for nodes.
Hard Factory Reset may be needed: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077/

Yes when I set the new node into wireless router mode it works fine and when in the aimesh setup mode it's also broadcasting. I did try wired but it didn't work but will try again, is it from lan port on the router to wan port on the node?

Yes, wired LAN to WAN.

Note that the node should be in a reset state (no configuration) before attempting to add it from the router webUI.

Could also try re-flashing, resetting, and re-adding the node.

Four APs is a lot of WiFi... how far apart are they?

OE

Yes, wired LAN to WAN.

Note that the node should be in a reset state (no configuration) before attempting to add it from the router webUI.

Could also try re-flashing, resetting, and re-adding the node.

Four APs is a lot of WiFi... how far apart are they?

OE

Tried that still can't find it.

I've reflashed and reset the node over a dozen times.

This third one is to extend wifi to shed at the end of the garden.

Tried that still can't find it.

If you are using Smart Connect and same SSIDs, you could try disabling that since SC is not supported by the AC66U B1... long shot. (Converted TM-1900 routers also do not work with AiMesh.)

OE

If you are using Smart Connect and same SSIDs, you could try disabling that since SC is not supported by the AC66U B1... long shot. (Converted TM-1900 routers also do not work with AiMesh.)

OE

Thanks for the tip but SC is disabled.

Last edited:
Downgraded the router to 386.2_4 and still the same issue. The thing is aimesh works with 2 nodes just can't add a third.
Flash the Asus firmware!

@stretch, I am unclear exactly what you have tried.
Did you try using the Ethernet cable to configure the 3rd node before or after changing the firmware?
Have you tried to hard-reset the 3rd node since your firmware change?

@stretch, I am unclear exactly what you have tried.
Did you try using the Ethernet cable to configure the 3rd node before or after changing the firmware?
Have you tried to hard-reset the 3rd node since your firmware change?

I reset the node and tried adding it via ethernet and wireless and both failed to be detected.

I have now reread this thread and realize that if the devices are with the firmware that you indicate that this not with in the failure scenarios covered in the post I referred you to. The AX86u on Merlin and a 66u b1 on stock firmware is not a failure scenario that I am aware of.

So, I suggest the following
  • Confirm that the exact error message is like this or something else. If other please note the exact message or provide a screen shot.
  • Take your new node and do the WPS reset (again). Take a computer not connected to anything else and connect the node via Ethernet. Login to the device and confirm the firmware version is as you think. (if not what is it)
  • Follow L&LD's nuclear reset.
  • Once done, power down your other nodes.
  • Connect an Ethernet cable to the WAN port of your node and a LAN port on your router and try again.
Please be as comprehensive your your response as I was with my suggestion.

Was setting up an AiMesh node and having issues. Tried everything here many times. What finally worked was shutting off my main router (not just rebooting it) and waiting 5 minutes, then rebooting it. Everything worked fine after that.

For people having similar issues. My solution was I had to tell the router to remove device after a firmware rescue. The router still recognized the MAC address after a full reset so it wouldn’t find it for setup. Once I “removed device” from the list of connected devices it is was able to find it for setup.

For people having similar issues. My solution was I had to tell the router to remove device after a firmware rescue. The router still recognized the MAC address after a full reset so it wouldn’t find it for setup. Once I “removed device” from the list of connected devices it is was able to find it for setup.
I can't determine what you're suggesting to do here. The node clearly isn't connected to anything if it's been reset. What list are you meant to remove it from?

Not sure if my situation is relevant to you. In my situation I had a node on my network. It crapped out and I had to rescue firmware update manually. The router would not allow me to add node because it saw the MAC it was already aware of. I had to “remove device” from the network via the app. Then it was able to “add node” to network.

Not sure if my situation is relevant to you. In my situation I had a node on my network. It crapped out and I had to rescue firmware update manually. The router would not allow me to add node because it saw the MAC it was already aware of. I had to “remove device” from the network via the app. Then it was able to “add node” to network.
Oh so you'd already had a working node connected, then had to reconnect it. Yes that's different than OP's issue.

I'm having the same issue as OP and wonder how many nodes he has? Is there a limit? I currently have 4 nodes attached and can't get my 5th attached, so hope this can be solved!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!