What's new

aimesh router RT-AC68U cannot find mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kaze72

New Around Here
Hi!

I already had an RT-AC68U and I bought another one, to set up a AiMesh network.

I have followed the instructions, both official and unofficial, very very carfully. The router never finds the node. I have done the process many times now, and factory reset both router and node (several times).

Sometimes , it seems to detect the node for a few seconds (in the web GUI), but it dissapears after a few seconds.

Please, if someone could give me advice!

Firmware (on both) is 3.0.0.4.384_20648

Hi!

I already had an RT-AC68U and I bought another one, to set up a AiMesh network.

I have followed the instructions, both official and unofficial, very very carfully. The router never finds the node. I have done the process many times now, and factory reset both router and node (several times).

Sometimes , it seems to detect the node for a few seconds (in the web GUI), but it dissapears after a few seconds.

Please, if someone could give me advice!

Firmware (on both) is 3.0.0.4.384_20648

Perhaps review my post here on similar setups. They should pair right up. I wonder if there is radio interference present at that spot. Have you temporarily configured the new router and checked for its radio signals i.e. is it broadcasting WiFi?

OE

Perhaps review my post here on similar setups. They should pair right up. I wonder if there is radio interference present at that spot. Have you temporarily configured the new router and checked for its radio signals i.e. is it broadcasting WiFi?

OE

Thank you for your reply. I have read very carefully your suggenstions, I think that i have done everything correctly. I found this post in this forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-router-can-not-detect-aimesh-node.46152/

That is an exact description of the same problem I'm having, althoug, I have two RT-AC68U routers, different from him.

I should not have any interference, the routers are within 1-2 meters apart, and I have connected wirelessly to them both individually.

Thank you for your reply. I have read very carefully your suggenstions, I think that i have done everything correctly. I found this post in this forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-router-can-not-detect-aimesh-node.46152/

That is an exact description of the same problem I'm having, althoug, I have two RT-AC68U routers, different from him.

I should not have any interference, the routers are within 1-2 meters apart, and I have connected wirelessly to them both individually.

You could downgrade firmware, reset, and give it a try. Or, give ASUS Support a call... they may help debug it or know what the issue might be.

It's not normal behavior, so not discussed/resolved much around here. Perhaps it is an issue similar to the 5300 reference.

OE

You could downgrade firmware, reset, and give it a try. Or, give ASUS Support a call... they may help debug it or know what the issue might be.

It's not normal behavior, so not discussed/resolved much around here. Perhaps it is an issue similar to the 5300 reference.

OE
Do you know of how to get older firmware files?

Do you know of how to get older firmware files?

Good question. I can only find the current version here https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Usually there is a 'See all downloads' link to list previous versions, but not so for the 68U. Maybe they removed these to thwart the TM-AC1900 hacking... or maybe downgrading is blocked for similar reason... I don't know.

Perhaps ASUS Support can provide a download link.

Another idea... reset the node, reload the current firmware, reset it again, and give it a try.

OE

Good question. I can only find the current version here https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Usually there is a 'See all downloads' link to list previous versions, but not so for the 68U. Maybe they removed these to thwart the TM-AC1900 hacking... or maybe downgrading is blocked for similar reason... I don't know.

Perhaps ASUS Support can provide a download link.

Another idea... reset the node, reload the current firmware, reset it again, and give it a try.

OE
I will call the Asus support today after work. Big thanks for your help! I will post here if something interesting happens.

So I just talked to Asus support. The guy said that the router has buggy software and it's impossible to use it for mesh network now. He expects a new firmware release in hopefully a week. He also said that is is a priority case since many people are affected by this.

So I just talked to Asus support. The guy said that the router has buggy software and it's impossible to use it for mesh network now. He expects a new firmware release in hopefully a week. He also said that is is a priority case since many people are affected by this.

Thanks for the update... it will be of interest to many 68U users.

If it's an option for you, the newer 86U might serve better as AiMesh router... its Smart Connect functionality would serve the entire AiMesh.

OE

Last edited:
I guess they mean creating a new mesh network is buggy, since updating my existing AiMesh network (1 router and 2 nodes) from 20308 worked fine. To tell the truth, it always seemed a hit-or-miss process and more complex that they lead you to believe in their marketing hype.

Last edited:
I guess they mean creating a new mesh network is buggy, since updating my existing 3 (1 router and 2 nodes) from 20308 worked fine. To tell the truth, it always seemed a hit-or-miss process and more complex that they lead you to believe in their marketing hype.
Do you also use only RT-AC68U units?

Forgive me if this has already been answered. Does anyone have an AiMesh setup with two AC68U's? One as main and the other as node. Trying to help a friend with the cheapest setup for AiMesh. Thank you in advance.

i stop using AiMesh but I have 4 AC68U, 1 real 1.4CPU, 1 1900p 1.4CPU and 2 TM and they all connect to Mesh just fine ..

Last edited:

Hi kaze72, I'm Nestor from the ASUS North America Corporate Office. I was hoping for a moment of your time to see if you'd be able to provide us with additional information on your ASUS support experience. Which ASUS Support channel did you contact and can you forward us your ASUS case number? Feel free to reach out here or via email at cl-nestor@asus.com.

Hi kaze72, I'm Nestor from the ASUS North America Corporate Office. I was hoping for a moment of your time to see if you'd be able to provide us with additional information on your ASUS support experience. Which ASUS Support channel did you contact and can you forward us your ASUS case number? Feel free to reach out here or via email at cl-nestor@asus.com.

Somebody's in trouble!

OE

Thanks!

I called the Swedish support number +46 8 587 69 407 , which I got from this page:

https://icr-emea.asus.com/webchat/i...MEA.ACNSE.SV-SE&tenantId=SV-SE&language=en-us

I did not get any case number, but I placed the call at 2018-05-02 16:19 (CET)

I'm bumbing this old thread because i have the exact same problem. Bought two RT-AC68U routers yeterday connected the via the wizard and updated to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384.2114). Did a factory reset on both of them and followed the official ASUS AiMesh setup guide but ithe main router fails to find the AiMesh node.

I have done numberous of restarts and factory resets, tried another firmware version without any luck. Is there anybody that have succesfully paired two RT-AC68U routers? @kaze72 did you ever find a sollution?

I'm bumbing this old thread because i have the exact same problem. Bought two RT-AC68U routers yeterday connected the via the wizard and updated to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384.2114). Did a factory reset on both of them and followed the official ASUS AiMesh setup guide but ithe main router fails to find the AiMesh node.

I have done numberous of restarts and factory resets, tried another firmware version without any luck. Is there anybody that have succesfully paired two RT-AC68U routers? @kaze72 did you ever find a sollution?
First, try swap the router, it sometimes help.
If it doesn't and similar to what I experiencing (ai-mesh compatibility issue), you will need to downgrade the firmware.

The firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20308 is the only one that allow the detection and success pair for ai-mesh for my case.

While the work around works, this was the conclusion with the amount of the data I was able to provide.
Thanks for your information.
Have checked internally, your RT-AC68R gets something wrong and it needs ASUS RMA procedure.
Please contact ASUS call center to do RMA. Thanks!

unfortunately, it's way pass the warranty (5 year since i bought it, I think) for me, so I would have to pay some 200+ bux if I want to fix it once and for all.
But since you have just bought it, return/replace them if you can.

Be sure to place both units very, very close to each other during the pairing process.
Seen this?

Last edited: