What's new

AiMesh RT-AX92U: Second band (5GHz-2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JokerPower

Regular Contributor
Hi guys

I've enabled the second 5GHz band on the RT-AX92U. The speed now is much better when connecting to this band.

But there is one thing I don't like about it. Almost every device connected to this band tends to disconnect and connect to the first 5GHz band (which is slower). It seems like the first band has a higher priority or smth.

This happens even in the same room with the router.

I'd like to mention that both RT-AX92U are connected through wired.

Why does this happen? Can it be fixed?

Many thanks

Hi, well I have a new Aimesh install similar to yours except I'm using an RT AC5300 router and an AC86U as a node. After setting up initially I learned a few things I wasn't expecting. I learned that the AiMesh architecture permanently grabs one of your 5ghz bands (I believe it's the 1st, check it) to use for the backhaul. I'm on a wireless backhaul but I believe it's true whether your connecting by WiFi or ethernet. This may explain your 5ghz assignment difficulties. In addition, I also learned that AiMesh does not support the Guest Network process, somewhat disappointing for my situation. After much trial & error I gave up on QOS, and Smart Connect. I found that the vanilla AiMesh configuration ran best for my network. I also upgraded my node to the Merlin firmware. I've read that this step was unnecessary but not being a heavy weight tech like a lot of these guys (women) in the forum, it seemed right to have both devices talming the same code. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I learned that the AiMesh architecture permanently grabs one of your 5ghz bands (I believe it's the 1st, check it) to use for the backhaul

This is not the case on the AX92U when using a wired backhaul. You have a triband router and all 3 bands available.

Almost every device connected to this band tends to disconnect and connect to the first 5GHz band (which is slower)

Had this happen once on my phone, the issue I see sometimes is on one laptop , it nearly always connecs to the access point which is upstairs and obviously has the weakest signal. All other devices connect as expected.

Laptop can be 1 meter from the main router and it chooses the wrong device to connect to , no other device has any issue so it may simply be the device and not anything ASUS.

Hi again. I copied the following;

"This router utilizes a 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz bands, 160 MHz bandwidth, and 1024-QAM modulation to boost total network speeds to 6100 Mb/s.
ASUS RT-AX92U Specs."

You have 2 5ghz bands, no?

Hi again. I copied the following;

"This router utilizes a 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz bands, 160 MHz bandwidth, and 1024-QAM modulation to boost total network speeds to 6100 Mb/s.
ASUS RT-AX92U Specs."

You have 2 5ghz bands, no?

Yes, it is a TriBand router and when hardwired you can use all 3 bands.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/AiMesh-AX6100-WiFi-System-RT-AX92U-2-Pack/

Ethernet Backhaul Tab

Flexible Choice between Wireless and Wired Backhaul Connection
Ethernet backhaul function allows you to use network cables to connect two RT-AX92U routers together. If you have on-wall Ethernet ports in different rooms of your home, this feature lets your routers communicate with one another over a wired connection, making your WiFi system even more stable and reliable. It also reserves all the three WiFi bands for your wireless devices, giving them even more network capacity.

Last edited:
Actually, the AiMesh configuration is a little smarter then that. Rather then go on endlessly (lol) I took a quote from the ASUS AiMesh helps. It’s not quite cut n dry as that. Here it goes,

"AiMesh system supports both wireless and wired connection between AiMesh router and node to maximize throughput and stability. AiMesh analyzes the wireless signal strength for each frequency band available, and then determines automatically whether a wireless or wired connection is best to serve as the inter-router connection backbone."

AiMesh also presents an easy way to span a large distance. Most wouldn't want to run 100 ft of cat6,7 to hard wire say a 4K TV and your ASUS router as an example even though you'd have a great connection. I accomplished the same thing with 25ft of ethernet cable. I placed the node (the distances are for an example and not exact) about 75 feet from the router reducing the distance. I then ran 25 ft of cable from the node to my 4K TV. It’s been about a month and it's working great. I didn't want to run a 100 ft from router to TV because the first 75 ft wasn't navigable without difficulty, however, the last 25 ft was a snap. One other step to expand your reach is to run that cable to a 4 port (or more) gigabit switch that would give you an additional 2 ports that you could use to connect other devices within easy reach of the node there by pretty much eliminating the need for a WiFi connection at all. It works very well in my environment.

Actually, the AiMesh configuration is a little smarter then that.

Much of the ASUS Help page/s are wrong, out of date and at best confusing.

The thing you need to appreciate is that the firmware for RT/GT models is different to that on the AX models.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!