What's new

Aimesh stability help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jovinh0

New Around Here
Hello all,
I live in a ~4000sqft 2-storey house. Earlier this year, I re-contracted with my local ISP on a 2gbps bundle plan with a GT-AC2900. Well, to my disappointment, it was not enough to cover the whole house (forgive me for my lack of knowledge, not a very networking-savvy person).
Hence, I bought a AC5300, thinking that I can use it as the main router and the AC2900 as a node. And again, I felt that I needed at least 2 more nodes to extend WiFi to the entire house. My walls are too thick to let any signal pass into other bedrooms.

Now I am running primarily AC5300 + 2 AC88u as nodes that are connected via cat 6 cables(30 and 50m) to the former. It worked fine for the first few days, but my family has complained that their devices frequently shows they are connected to the WiFi but there is no internet connection.
Router is on the 2nd storey right at the front of the house, 1 node at the centre of the house on the 2nd storey too, and 1 node downstairs at the centre. I have intention to add the GT-AC2900 to the back of the house on the 1st floor, but hadn't had time yet to lay the cables nicely.

What can I do to improve my setup? Are there are settings that I am missing out?
I am kinda lost, having so many questions in my mind and not sure why the WiFi is broken at times. Sometimes, just turning off and on WiFi on the device works, sometimes it doesn't and will take more than a few minutes for the connection to be up again.

Thanks in advance for any kind help!

Hello all,
I live in a ~4000sqft 2-storey house. Earlier this year, I re-contracted with my local ISP on a 2gbps bundle plan with a GT-AC2900. Well, to my disappointment, it was not enough to cover the whole house (forgive me for my lack of knowledge, not a very networking-savvy person).
Hence, I bought a AC5300, thinking that I can use it as the main router and the AC2900 as a node. And again, I felt that I needed at least 2 more nodes to extend WiFi to the entire house. My walls are too thick to let any signal pass into other bedrooms.

Now I am running primarily AC5300 + 2 AC88u as nodes that are connected via cat 6 cables(30 and 50m) to the former. It worked fine for the first few days, but my family has complained that their devices frequently shows they are connected to the WiFi but there is no internet connection.
Router is on the 2nd storey right at the front of the house, 1 node at the centre of the house on the 2nd storey too, and 1 node downstairs at the centre. I have intention to add the GT-AC2900 to the back of the house on the 1st floor, but hadn't had time yet to lay the cables nicely.

What can I do to improve my setup? Are there are settings that I am missing out?
I am kinda lost, having so many questions in my mind and not sure why the WiFi is broken at times. Sometimes, just turning off and on WiFi on the device works, sometimes it doesn't and will take more than a few minutes for the connection to be up again.

Thanks in advance for any kind help!

If you are feeling adventurous, consider 2 dual-band nodes upstairs as far apart as possible, and 1 down stairs center for now:

2: ISP <wired> AC2900 (front) ... <wired> AC88U (toward back)
1: ... <wired> AC88U (center)

Consider the AiMesh 2.0 beta firmware:

Consider a clean install per my install notes (AC2900 is similar to AC86U). Be sure to reset the firmware before configuring it:

Be sure to set AiMesh 2.0 to use the wired backhauls to free up both bands for client use:

OE

Last edited:
If you are feeling adventurous, consider 2 dual-band nodes upstairs as far apart as possible, and 1 down stairs center for now:

2: ISP <wired> AC2900 (front) ... <wired> AC88U (toward back)
1: ... <wired> AC88U (center)

Consider the AiMesh 2.0 beta firmware:

Consider a clean install per my install notes (AC2900 is similar to AC86U). Be sure to reset the firmware before configuring it:

Be sure to set AiMesh 2.0 to use the wired backhauls to free up both bands for client use:

OE

Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

How do I install the firmware? It is on the router page where I manual attach the filepath?

Also, since the AC5300 is at the front, does that mean that I put the AC2900 beside it?

Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

How do I install the firmware? It is on the router page where I manual attach the filepath?

Also, since the AC5300 is at the front, does that mean that I put the AC2900 beside it?

Firmware can be installed from the router webUI by uploading the firmware file to each remote node and then to the router/root node. Then reset all nodes. Then configure the router and add the nodes. Asus website has FAQs for more detailed instructions.

I believe the AC2900 will outperform the AC5300, so I'm suggesting you set the AC5300 aside and make the AC2900 the main router... like I detailed above.

OE

Firmware can be installed from the router webUI by uploading the firmware file to each remote node and then to the router/root node. Then reset all nodes. Then configure the router and add the nodes. Asus website has FAQs for more detailed instructions.

I believe the AC2900 will outperform the AC5300, so I'm suggesting you set the AC5300 aside and make the AC2900 the main router... like I detailed above.

OE

Okay, I will do it and hopefully it works better! All the while I thought that bigger numbers always meant better (5300 vs 2900) , thus I bought the AC5300 thinking that it would give more coverage.

Okay, I will do it and hopefully it works better! All the while I thought that bigger numbers always meant better (5300 vs 2900) , thus I bought the AC5300 thinking that it would give more coverage.

After you update a remote node, if you remove it from the AiMesh, it will reset automatically. It is then ready to add to the new AiMesh after you update, reset, and configure the AC2900.

OE

After you update a remote node, if you remove it from the AiMesh, it will reset automatically. It is then ready to add to the new AiMesh after you update, reset, and configure the AC2900.

OE

Hi,
I am stuck at updating the AC2900 firmware. There was no option to manual upload any file. The AC-88u (s) had it though, I have already updated and reset them.

Hi,
I am stuck at updating the AC2900 firmware. There was no option to manual upload any file. The AC-88u (s) had it though, I have already updated and reset them.

A router is not much use without a way to upload the firmware file available on the Asus Support website.

Look around the router's webUI firmware page for an upload link. If you don't find it, reset the router and look again.

OE

A router is not much use without a way to upload the firmware file available on the Asus Support website.

Look around the router's webUI firmware page for an upload link. If you don't find it, reset the router and look again.

OE

Yes it is weird. I reset it 2 times already, still don't see it there. There is supposed to be a "upload" button I can click but its missing.
ac2900.jpg

Yes it is weird. I reset it 2 times already, still don't see it there. There is supposed to be a "upload" button I can click but its missing.View attachment 27582

Well, that's annoying!

I wonder why the model is GT-AC2900 SH.

You could call Asus Support and ask them about it. And ask them if you can use their firmware restoration utility to install the beta/any firmware.

And ask them why the router Check doesn't find Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072 from 2020/08/17. Have you put it on the Internet and Checked for the online update?

Whenever I've called US Support, they have responded rather well.

OE

Last edited:
Well, that's annoying!

I wonder why the model is GT-AC2900 SH.

You could call Asus Support and ask them about it. And ask them if you can use their firmware restoration utility to install the beta/any firmware.

And ask them why the router Check doesn't find Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072 from 2020/08/17. Have you put it on the Internet and Checked for the online update?

Whenever I've called US Support, they have responded rather well.

OE

Asus support was bad, did not provide any useful help at all. I managed to update the firmware of the GT-AC2900 when I added it as a node to the AC5300. After that I reset it and make it as my main router.

However, a new problem came up. I could add all the AC88u as nodes in near vicinity, but once I move it to where I want them to be and connect the ethernet cables to their WAN ports, they disconnect immediately as shown on the mesh page. Whether the main router is AC5300 or GT-AC2900, the AC88u(s) are having this disconnecting problem as nodes. They don't appear again unless I take away the cable.

On the other hand, the AC5300 when serving as a node to GT-AC2900, does not appear to have this problem ( and vice versa). Works perfectly well and shows that it is connected via ethernet.

Update----
Now the AC88u(s) show up on the list of nodes but appear offline immediately once established as nodes.
I tested them, when Router LAN>Node WAN>PC all connected by cable, there is internet connection available on the laptop (near 500mbps). The nodes were apparently just not broadcasting any WiFi signal (All 2.4/5g leds on). Well now its frustrating, as the WiFi at the other side of the house is weak/near to nothing as I couldn't set up the nodes there at all :(((

Last edited:
Asus support was bad, did not provide any useful help at all. I managed to update the firmware of the GT-AC2900 when I added it as a node to the AC5300. After that I reset it and make it as my main router.

However, a new problem came up. I could add all the AC88u as nodes in near vicinity, but once I move it to where I want them to be and connect the ethernet cables to their WAN ports, they disconnect immediately as shown on the mesh page. Whether the main router is AC5300 or GT-AC2900, the AC88u(s) are having this disconnecting problem as nodes. They don't appear again unless I take away the cable.

On the other hand, the AC5300 when serving as a node to GT-AC2900, does not appear to have this problem ( and vice versa). Works perfectly well and shows that it is connected via ethernet.

Update----
Now the AC88u(s) show up on the list of nodes but appear offline immediately once established as nodes.
I tested them, when Router LAN>Node WAN>PC all connected by cable, there is internet connection available on the laptop (near 500mbps). The nodes were apparently just not broadcasting any WiFi signal (All 2.4/5g leds on). Well now its frustrating, as the WiFi at the other side of the house is weak/near to nothing as I couldn't set up the nodes there at all :(((

So, the wired backhauls are working but the remote node WiFi is not working? Have you tried the system reboot under the AiMesh section?

Also, post in the beta thread for more eyes on the issue.

OE

So, the wired backhauls are working but the remote node WiFi is not working? Have you tried the system reboot under the AiMesh section?

Also, post in the beta thread for more eyes on the issue.

OE

I guess its a problem with RT-AC88u, WiFi is not working regardless of whether wired or not. Basically it just serves like an extension of wires, since its only working when wired to router and coming out to other devices from LAN port.

I guess its a problem with RT-AC88u, WiFi is not working regardless of whether wired or not. Basically it just serves like an extension of wires, since its only working when wired to router and coming out to other devices from LAN port.

I wonder what happened to the 88U WiFi signals? Switch ON, LEDs ON, but no signals?

OE

I wonder what happened to the 88U WiFi signals? Switch ON, LEDs ON, but no signals?

OE
Yup, all on but no signals. Once added as node, it will remain online on the list but subsequently "goes offline" in a minute's time. With all the power, 2g and 5g leds still on.

Yup, all on but no signals. Once added as node, it will remain online on the list but subsequently "goes offline" in a minute's time. With all the power, 2g and 5g leds still on.

That feels like a firmware defect.

New beta firmware RC2-8 just dropped today. Be persistent! :)

My index to the beta thread:

Notice my note against RC2-1... I could never install it on my 2xAC86Us. I did not have a wired backhaul to try like yours.

OE