What's new

AiMesh Starting router AC88U or 5300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nucleartiger

New Around Here
I currently have an RT-AC3100 with another router (Netgear) setup as an extender that is starting to have issues. As I started looking at a new router for a replacement I noticed this AiMesh capability and thought now would be the perfect time to make it happen. I tried reading old threads and researching it but couldn't really find anything definitive so I thought that I would start a new thread.

Given the choice Between the the RT-AC88U and the RT-AC5300 which would you purchase to be the new primary router? I have a 3000 sq ft house. There are 6 of us streaming Netflix, Xbox live, 4k tv (future proofing), and and all with cell phones, laptops, smart tvs connected, etc.

My first thought is to get either of those as the primary router and turn the ac3100 into a node that such that the house has full wifi coverage. The other option is to buy a 2 pack of ac68U for the same price as one 88u and leave the ac3100 as the primary router. What do you guys think?

I appreciate any and all tips/suggestions.

Last edited:
Assuming a wireless connection between the router/nodes, the AC5300 is only really giving you an advantage if you use 2 of them. That way, one of the 3 radio bands is dedicated to backhaul, leaving 2 bands clear for client traffic.
On that basis, I’d go with the AC88U. It also has the advantage of 4 more LAN ports (if you have cables devices to connect).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I currently have an RT-AC3100 with another router (Netgear) setup as an extender that is starting to have issues. As I started looking at a new router for a replacement I noticed this AiMesh capability and thought now would be the perfect time to make it happen. I tried reading old threads and researching it but couldn't really find anything definitive so I thought that I would start a new thread.

Given the choice Between the the RT-AC88U and the RT-AC5300 which would you purchase to be the new primary router? I have a 3000 sq ft house. There are 6 of us streaming Netflix, Xbox live, 4k tv (future proofing), and and all with cell phones, laptops, smart tvs connected, etc.

My first thought is to get either of those as the primary router and turn the ac3100 into a node that such that the house has full wifi coverage. The other option is to buy a 2 pack of ac68U for the same price as one 88u and leave the ac3100 as the primary router. What do you guys think?

I appreciate any and all tips/suggestions.

The 68Us do not support Smart Connect node band steering.

The 86U is not tri-band, but may be a more current build processor and memory wise... and hardware-assisted VPN, I've read.

If you live near a Micro Center with stock, they have a good price now! on 2 86Us http://www.microcenter.com/product/483710/rt-ac86u_ac2900_dual-band_wireless_gigabit_router

I have 2 86Us in an AiMesh as described here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537 Big space but only two users at the moment.

OE

The 68Us do not support Smart Connect node band steering.

Footnote: So far, Smart Connect is working with identical SSIDs. I'm pushing one of my 68Us to another site as a standalone router and tried setting up identical SSIDs... no go. A 2.4 GHz-only client refused to connect. So, I switched back to unique SSIDs and it connected right up to the 2.4 GHz SSID. This same stubborn client has no problem connecting to identical SSIDs on my 86U AiMesh using Smart Connect. Similarly, a Chromecast that would stick to 2.4 GHz on my 68U AiMesh using identical SSIDs has no trouble staying put on 5.0 GHz on my 86U AiMesh using identical SSIDs with Smart Connect.

If you are going to try AiMesh, you should include Smart Connect and skip using the 68U, imo.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I have run across a good deal on another AC3100. Would I be losing anything by just getting another 3100 for AiMesh vice buying an AC86U? I am not going to be using a VPN, I do plan on attaching a USB Hard Drive to stream from across the network.

Thanks!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!