What's new

aimesh + switch to get ethernet backhaul setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wah00kid

Occasional Visitor
With all the time at home I am trying to complete a backhaul project and wondering about this setup:

Currently I have dsl (slow) internet modem going to rt-ac3100 with 4 rt-ac68 as nodes. One of the rt-ac68 is hooked up via ethernet backhaul the other 3 are wireless nodes.

I got two peplink balance 30 free from the throw away pile at work one is a bpl-031 and one is a bpl30. I believe I could use one of these as a switch (I have never used a switch before).

So proposed setup is dsl to the rt-ac3100 - I will leave the one backhaul rt-ac68 connected as is. I will take a line off of the rt-ac3100 and plug it into the WAN port of the peplink and then plug in the other 3 rt-ac68 into ports 1,2,3 of the peplink and wire out.

Will that work? Will the system recognize the aimesh backhaul? Has anyone used these peplinks?

I know the peplink is EOL but as it is behind my modem and router i am hoping it will be safe - any comment on that?

For Ethernet backhaul via a switch to work, you need the most basic of L2 switches.
I’ve no idea what the peplink is, but sounds too complicated!
Go on Amazon and spend 20 bucks on a Netgear 8 port switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And categorically it won’t work with some cables on WAN and some on LAN of the peplink. If it is to work at all you need them all on the LAN side.

But as is say, get the right tool for the job and use a basic switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the time at home I am trying to complete a backhaul project and wondering about this setup:

Currently I have dsl (slow) internet modem going to rt-ac3100 with 4 rt-ac68 as nodes. One of the rt-ac68 is hooked up via ethernet backhaul the other 3 are wireless nodes.

I got two peplink balance 30 free from the throw away pile at work one is a bpl-031 and one is a bpl30. I believe I could use one of these as a switch (I have never used a switch before).

So proposed setup is dsl to the rt-ac3100 - I will leave the one backhaul rt-ac68 connected as is. I will take a line off of the rt-ac3100 and plug it into the WAN port of the peplink and then plug in the other 3 rt-ac68 into ports 1,2,3 of the peplink and wire out.

Will that work? Will the system recognize the aimesh backhaul? Has anyone used these peplinks?

I know the peplink is EOL but as it is behind my modem and router i am hoping it will be safe - any comment on that?

Should work if you can disable the routing/dhcp server bits and only use the LAN ports as a switch. Otherwise, buy a simple Ethernet switch (will likely consume less power).

Be sure to configure the AiMesh node connection priority to be wired/Ethernet in case it can not auto detect the wired backhaul due to the switch.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!