What's new

AiMesh vs Access Point ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm the OP, and here is my semi-update.

RT-AC86U is my main router running latest Merlin. I used an old DSL-AC68U running an updated stock firmware as a child/node in an AiMesh setup.

So far, I'm happy. Devices roam nicely, coverage is awesome and haven't noticed any lagging or unusual behaviour.

However, I think a Guest network extended to the node will be brilliant. The lack of ethernet backhaul is annoying but it's a DSL model after all.

I may try to see how I go with an AP setup, at least I know the AiMesh is a good alternative without needing to buy a new device/router.
I tried both the Aimesh and AP route. In terms of roaming I couldn’t tell a difference between the 2 (mind you my router and AP both support 802.11k/v). I would get some weird slowdowns with Aimesh (less than 1Mb down) occasionally that I never got when running an AP setup. My best guess was channel interference as Aimesh uses the same channel across all nodes. I setup my AP on a non overlapping channel and have never had an issue. Ultimately use what works best for you but I’m happy with the AP route.

I tried both the Aimesh and AP route. In terms of roaming I couldn’t tell a difference between the 2 (mind you my router and AP both support 802.11k/v). I would get some weird slowdowns with Aimesh (less than 1Mb down) occasionally that I never got when running an AP setup. My best guess was channel interference as Aimesh uses the same channel across all nodes. I setup my AP on a non overlapping channel and have never had an issue. Ultimately use what works best for you but I’m happy with the AP route.

So are you using same SSID but different channels ?

So are you using same SSID but different channels ?
That is correct. I am also using smart connect so one ssid for all 4 radios (2.4 and 5 on router and AP). I know smart connect tends to get a bad rap on the forums, but I’ve always been very pleased with the performance. All 4 radios are on different non-overlapping channels.

The way I tested the roaming performance of aimesh versus an AP is I setup my iPad in front of a tv and FaceTimed my phone. Then I walked across the house with my phone making sure to cross over the handoff point multiple times and observed what happened to the FaceTime video and audio. Both the mesh and AP set up performed the same. At best, the handoff was completely seamless, at worst there was maybe a half second freezing of the audio and video.

Over the years I tried many things. AiMesh...AP...
By far AP with a wired TP Link wall mounted EAP225 works best for me and the beauty is that the clients (mostly 2.4Ghz IPcams, printers and other IOT) never disconnect and zero configuration work when you change the router....
I also went back to separate SSID for both bands now that 5GHz reach on RT-AX86U is plenty...
This setup is extremely reliable and no more worries at all.

Over the years I tried many things. AiMesh...AP...
By far AP with a wired TP Link wall mounted EAP225 works best for me and the beauty is that the clients (mostly 2.4Ghz IPcams, printers and other IOT) never disconnect and zero configuration work when you change the router....
I also went back to separate SSID for both bands now that 5GHz reach on RT-AX86U is plenty...
This setup is extremely reliable and no more worries at all.

AiMesh is for wireless networking. OP reported it is working well for him:

AiMesh vs Access Point ? | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

OE

After comment above I am soooo confused. Staying with this thread's subject, I too look to add my "old" wired AC68U as a node to my "new" AC86U. I really want to use AiMesh 2.0 but am uncomfortable using beta for a network that needs to be rock solid. So, after reviewing this thread again and again, and not wanting to upset anyone, but is there a consensus around the node SSID assignment? Different SSID's, same SSID's, different passwords, same passwords, different channels for each band, same channels for each band????

Your AC68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering. So, you should disable any Smart Connect and set different SSIDs per band: SSID-24, SSID-50.

To aid roaming node-to-node, you should use the same SSIDs and passwords across all nodes. And you may as well use the same one password everywhere.

This applies to both wired AP Mode and wired/wireless AiMesh. AP Mode allows you to set different channels. AiMesh uses the same channels.

OE

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you roam a voice call across SSIDs?

You are not roaming across SSIDs if they are the same name. And this is not what you said. You stated " Disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs per band and fixed channels." is what you stated.
Dont ask questions or talk about it or think about it ...just do it there's no harm in trying it...

Last edited: