What's new

Solved AiMesh, what am I doing wrong?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Golan Remi

New Around Here
Hi All,
I have been using Asus AiMesh since it was first introduced. Current setup uses AC5300 as the router, 2 x AC68R and 1 x AC1900 as nodes. All connected via Ethernet cables and 1G Ethernet is set as priority. No issue in this setup and it is running the latest Firmware (always updated via the web GUI)
RT-AC5300 - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_43576-g649d261
RT-AC1900P (70:4D) - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6
RT-AC68R (E0:3F) - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6
RT-AC68R (D8:50) - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6

Recently I've converted a used T-Mobile CellSpot to an AC68U. Process was simple once I mtd-wrote the updated cfe.bin (tried both with manual update of the 3 MAC and WPS, as well as using https://cfeditor.feng.si/). I then proceeded to install FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx followed by an update to the latest 3.0.0.4.386_45987. Every option works but AI-Mesh. To be clear, it works as a stand alone router or a repeater, but the 5300 refuses to recognize it as a mesh node. I thought my method to add it was flowed, so I removed a current working node and re-add it, no issue. I tried to add using WIFI, using cable, reset the node, reset the router (took a backup first :)) clear the NVARM, nothing. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have been using Asus AiMesh since it was first introduced. Current setup uses AC5300 as the router, 2 x AC68R and 1 x AC1900 as nodes. All connected via Ethernet cables and 1G Ethernet is set as priority. No issue in this setup and it is running the latest Firmware (always updated via the web GUI)
RT-AC5300 - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_43576-g649d261
RT-AC1900P (70:4D) - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6
RT-AC68R (E0:3F) - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6
RT-AC68R (D8:50) - Current Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6

Recently I've converted a used T-Mobile CellSpot to an AC68U. Process was simple once I mtd-wrote the updated cfe.bin (tried both with manual update of the 3 MAC and WPS, as well as using https://cfeditor.feng.si/). I then proceeded to install FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx followed by an update to the latest 3.0.0.4.386_45987. Every option works but AI-Mesh. To be clear, it works as a stand alone router or a repeater, but the 5300 refuses to recognize it as a mesh node. I thought my method to add it was flowed, so I removed a current working node and re-add it, no issue. I tried to add using WIFI, using cable, reset the node, reset the router (took a backup first :)) clear the NVARM, nothing. What am I missing here?

Asuswrt firmware may prohibit using the TM router with AiMesh. This router is discussed here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...c1900-conversion-discussion.46018/post-398453

OE

Asuswrt firmware may prohibit using the TM router with AiMesh. This router is discussed here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/snbforums-policy-on-asus-tm-ac1900-conversion-discussion.46018/post-398
@OzarkEdge You posted a very interesting discussion. I wonder how it is OK to install non-ASUS firmware on routers, thus achieving features and abilities these routers were not designed for, but installing an ASUS firmware on an ASUS router is not allowed?

Specifically, the router has a clean cfe.bin which allowed me to install a non-TMO firmware. Everything else is working, but AiMesh, are you saying that there are additional areas Asus is checking and it specifically prevents the use of AiMesh on these routers, even though it is available on the AC68U when connecting to the router or after a reset?

@OzarkEdge You posted a very interesting discussion. I wonder how it is OK to install non-ASUS firmware on routers, thus achieving features and abilities these routers were not designed for,
Because you're probably talking about open source firmware, e.g. DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.

but installing an ASUS firmware on an ASUS router is not allowed?
It's not an Asus router, it's a T-Mobile router, albeit manufactured by Asus. AiMesh is proprietary software that never existed on the T-Mobile router and T-Mobile has never bought a licence to use it.

Specifically, the router has a clean cfe.bin which allowed me to install a non-TMO firmware. Everything else is working, but AiMesh, are you saying that there are additional areas Asus is checking and it specifically prevents the use of AiMesh on these routers, even though it is available on the AC68U when connecting to the router or after a reset?
That would appear to be the case.

That would appear to be the case.
Apparently not. There was one step missing in my process, wiping the T-Mobile certificates from the MTD5 partition. Once this was done, the router was discoverable as an AiMesh node.

All that’s left now is to run a cable to its location and I’m done.

02C91C2D-A556-4F9F-A05B-2DB7FA52EC11.jpeg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!