What's new

AiMesh with backhaul via Ethernet over Powerline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DallasFlier

Occasional Visitor
As the title says - that's what I'm thinking of doing, using TP-Link 2Gbit Powerline Ethernet devices. Yes, I know I'll get nowhere 2 Gb from them! But seems it should be better than wifi backhaul? I'm only posting/asking because I did a search and can't find ANY threads where anyone has done that, which seems rather strange - unless there's a pitfall I'm unaware of! Any reasons why this shouldn't work well?

Unless your home/space is built like a Faraday cage, don't.

You'll need to provide much more information about your 'plan', but avoid PLA's unless you've exhausted all other options.

Detailed information like the ISP speeds you have available, the specific router model you are considering and, ideally, a diagram of your current and expected setup would help to answer your queries fully.

I've successfully used this and MoCA for the backhaul.
Just test the adapters before committing to it.

For my application, this is the only way to get an ethernet backhaul.

As noted above, you will need to test and see, as there are so many considerations; network density, distance, building materials, the quality of your wiring loom, etc. In my case I tried Devolo Magic 2 (2.4 Mbps) but the real world throughput was only marginally better than the Devolo 650s they were to replace and in both cases noticeably poorer than using Wi-Fi, so they went straight back.

I use a powerline ethernet device that allows an old 1750 in aimesh mode to operate in the far corner of my garage. Provides a good signal for garage door and outside smart lights on that end of the house. Works well; backhaul connection says "great." I had to test a few outlets combinations to find the magic pair. I assume it's the split between incoming power phases that causes the problem. You should also spend the extra bucks on a name brand powerline device. I tried some cheap no-namers that had problems re-linking after power outages - very frustrating.

As the title says - that's what I'm thinking of doing, using TP-Link 2Gbit Powerline Ethernet devices. Yes, I know I'll get nowhere 2 Gb from them! But seems it should be better than wifi backhaul? I'm only posting/asking because I did a search and can't find ANY threads where anyone has done that, which seems rather strange - unless there's a pitfall I'm unaware of! Any reasons why this shouldn't work well?
I am actually using TP-Link 1Gbit Powerline Ethernet devices NOW!

Results will vary greatly depending on your home's wiring. In general, a breaker with multiple branches will not work as well as one with very few unless you are on the same one and the POE devices rather close and then what's reason for that.

Thanks for all the information. I've used a set of 200Mb adapters for years to feed my computers and AV devices that are physically remote from the modem & router. Throughput has been just fine, up to and including HD streaming via Roku & Firestick. I think the devices are getting older, and so I plan to replace them with new TP-Link AV2000 2 Gb and then also use that for the backhaul for my recently upgraded AiMesh network (see signature.) But a bit longer term, preparing to retire and move to Mexico, and the homes there are all cinderblock/concrete construction, which I anticipate being more difficult than the wooden studs/drywall I have here. Will be going down to about half of the current 3100 sq ft, but going to that cinderblock/concrete. Will be working remote, need good internet, and am also invested in IoT and will replicate there. So can't really provide a layout quite yet - I think they'll work fine here, time will tell in Mexico.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!