What's new

AIMesh with ethernet backhaul VS AP Mode with ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

busch09

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have a few asus merlin routers in AP mode with an ethernet backhaul to the main router.
Is there any benefit in switching to AIMesh with ethernet backhaul?

cheers
Chris

Hi,
I have a few asus merlin routers in AP mode with an ethernet backhaul to the main router.

cheers
Chris
The only advantage is for those wanting to skip the extra steps it takes to configure a repeater, because mesh is suppose to function seamlessly with little configuration other than pairing with aimesh router. With ap mode, you may or may not have an advantage, you have to configure channels and wireless powerlevels, the whole 9 yards just to get things operating smoothly. In some situations ap mode may be better especially if you want to segregate ssids and do not care for uniform ssid and semi seamless transitioning between nodes.

So, it really depends on you as a user to determine the best route for you based on what you feel your needs within your setup are.

Last edited:
What they ^ said.

If you're a set & forget type - like most people - AiMesh makes extending wireless coverage super easy: it handles all of the arcane aspects of channel selection and transmission power stuff.
If you're a more roll up your sleeves type, and can remember (or keep records of) your AP setups...

Hi,

cheers
Chris

Can't say as I have never used AP mode. Here are some AiMesh observations:

o centralized management from the router/root node including firmware upgrades... you don't configure the remote nodes... you just add them to the AiMesh;

o auto configuration of wireless backhauls that at least support a 120 Mbps speed test with my PC client and 100/10 ISP cable service;

o wired backhauls are supported;

o Tri-band routers lose client use of the second 5 GHz band even if using a wired backhaul;

o better than AP mode seamless same-SSID roaming from what I gather around here... definitely better than repeater mode roaming;

o all WiFi signals use the same channel per band;

o if you leave dual-band Smart Connect node band steering (a router feature, not an AiMesh feature in particular) enabled by default, then wireless mode, ch bandwidth, control ch, and extension ch will be adjusted automatically. Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 routers/nodes, so using separate SSIDs per band may be required.

OE

I tried AIMesh and didn't like that you lost all control of which channel would be used. I have a RT-AX86U set as wireless router and two RT-AC86U's set to AP's all using eithernat for backhaul. I have all using the same SSID but all on different wifi channels. I think this should give me better performance than AIMesh placing all 3 on the same channel and stepping on each other or is there some detail I am missing?

I played with both options and for the time being, the AP's work better for me:
1) With AiMesh I can't see any major improvement of the roaming behavior of my clients (i.e. our family iPhones roam very smoothly, whereas Windows laptops suck in both setups);
2) I don't like limited control of the USB attached drives with AiMesh.

I have one FTP drive where we backup our phone pictures and one Samba drive where we backup our laptops. Both solutions are extremely convenient. But at least one of the USB drives has to be attached to the node / AP and I appreciate the full control over its settings that the latter mode gives me.

To be fair, the point 2 is true about AiMesh 1.0. AiMesh 2.0 apparently offers more control over the USB application and I will certainly try it as soon as Merlin 386.xx FW enters at least the beta stage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!