What's new

Aimesh with two SSIDs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hastor

New Around Here
I just got an Asus AX router and plan to add another tri-band router to form a mesh. Is it possible to keep it with two discreet SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.0 while still using the other 5.0 for a dedicated wireless backhaul? Everything I find about using the 3rd network (2nd 5ghz) as a dedicated backhaul requires enabling Smart Connect, making everything one SSID. However I have devices that attempt to connect to 5.0 when 2.4 is way better due to range.
Is it possible to expand my current setup with a dedicated wireless backhaul while keeping the SSIDs seperate? I haven't gotten the node yet, but this is my concern before doing so. Even with a second one, I need some devices to only use 2.4 that will otherwise try for the 5.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Hastor.

It depends on whether the AX router you got is also Tri-Band.

The ideal AiMesh setup is always with two or more identical router models, regardless of what marketing may suggest.

When considering mixing dual and tri-band models, it is even more important to keep in mind (and simply, don't mix them).

I suggest using different SSIDs for the 2.5GHz and the 5GHz bands. Works great in AiMesh mode with 2x RT-AX68Us, 2x RT-AX86Us, 2x GT-AX6000, etc.

Also note that what band a device prefers is up to the device, not the router. So in that sense, either don't give that device both passwords, or live with the decisions it makes. Most people with issues have at least one device that they must turn the WiFi off, then on again for it to connect to the network they want it to (when it is sufficiently in range), but even that isn't a guaranteed method/work around.

They are both tri-band, though the one I'm getting for a node is cheaper as my main one was a bit pricey, and the really important stuff is wired to it. How do I set it to use one of the 5ghz networks for wireless backhaul while maintaining two SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5.0? I can't find a guide to enabling dedicated wireless backhaul without using Smart Connect, which limits you to a single SSID, which I don't want.
I'm looking for info on how to set this up properly.

You must provide more information. Like model numbers, to start. ;)

Ah, I thought the setup would be similar across current triband Asus routers. My main router is a GT-AX11000.
For my second router, I was considering an AX6100. Mainly I need something with some wired ports for something without wifi in that room with the node as well, so I'm open to other suggestions. I'd just like to spend less than a second GT-AX11000.
If these models would work well together, how would I set it up that it has the following?
- 1 2.4 GHZ network with unique SSID
- 1 5.0 GHZ network with different SSID
- Using second 5.0GHZ network for dedicated wireless backhaul

I really appreciate the assistance! I'm brand new to the whole Asus line, as I've had a single TP-Link router for 8 years. Moved to a bigger place.

If you're talking about the RT-AX92U router, I wouldn't suggest that model (at all).

Well what would you suggest? Anything other than an identical model to what I have? Just looking to accomplish what I listed above, plus have at least one wired port on the node.

How degraded are the WiFi speeds at that far location?

If they're usable, I would just buy an RT-AX68U and use it on Media Bridge mode for those wired only clients.

Sorry i don't have any recommendations for a tri-band router.

Still moving in so need to test in real-world mode. So far I've only had a single device connected at a time, but once I'm moved in there will be a couple dozen that regularly connect and many that keep a connection. So I'm not sure if the signal quality will be an issue, or if I can just use something like you suggest.

Triband routers sometimes are not as expected.
I tried to add an RT-AX92U as a node to my XT8 AiMesh just to discover that on that router the AX mode is available only on the 5GHz-2 band that is allocated to the backhaul, so all my wifi-6 clients could connect only to the 5GHz-1 band with AC mode (866 Mbps max).

The RT-AX92U's 5GHz-2(Wi-Fi 6) band is used as a dedicated wireless backhaul and then defaulted to a hidden SSID.

This is AiMesh's design rule, but this model only has AX in 5GHz-2(Wi-Fi 6) and it used to the backhaul.
[AiMesh] How to use RT-AX92U's Wi-Fi 6 band on AiMesh mode? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Eventually I had to buy another XT8.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!