What's new

AiMesh2 Multicast IoT over wireless node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cputoaster

Occasional Visitor
I have a star mesh config, with the AX88U router being connected to two AX88U nodes via Ethernet and one AX56U via wireless:

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 09.35.30.png

With an IoT server (receiver) wired to one of the wired nodes, and binding to a multicast address (Shelly CoIoT multicast), I can only receive the multicast traffic from wireless nodes connected to the wired nodes / router, but not from the ones connected to the wireless node. Non-multicast traffic works fine. Also tested by using a notebook and Packet Sender to directly send test multicast packets while sniffing on the server.

Running Merlin 386.1 on all nodes / router. IPTV->Enable Multicast routing is "Enable", Switch->Spanning Tree Protocol is "Enable", WLAN->Professional->IGMP Snooping is enabled for 2.4 and 5ghz. Which also means I cannot file a bug report to ASUS (I tried) and its impossible to debug for the Merlin experts (AiMesh). But maybe someone has a similar config and go it to work?

If this does not work it would basically mean that AiMesh2 (and 1) cannot be used for Shelly and other multicasting wifi clients with nodes using wireless backhaul, which does seem like a big oversight for a V2 product...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!