What's new

AiProtection Alternative?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zahroc

Occasional Visitor
Can anyone suggest an opensource/free AiProtection alternative?
I would like to have something that provides a more verbose log and more configurable that the TrendMicro built in to the ASUS/Merlin code.

Thanks!

Nothing that would be turn-key. You'd have to configure everything manually if looking at solutions like Snort, Suricata, OpenDPI, etc...

Nothing that would be turn-key. You'd have to configure everything manually if looking at solutions like Snort, Suricata, OpenDPI, etc...

I am willing to configure manually. I just want better logging and configuration. Out of the few mentioned, what would be your recommendation? This is for personal use and not required for a business or anything. just trying to keep teenagers from killing my network! ;)

Not on a consumer grade router.

If you are up for it look at untangle or pfsense with suricata. They will need pretty beefy processors though. I tried it on a intel celeron n2820 and it wouldn't cut it. Maximum throughput was around 20 to 40 mb/s and that was without any vpn.

Snort is limited to a single core so it would be even slower.

the asus firmware has great qos and parental controls and network filtering built it including time limits. Perhaps that may more what you are looking for.

Not on a consumer grade router.

If you are up for it look at untangle or pfsense with suricata. They will need pretty beefy processors though. I tried it on a intel celeron n2820 and it wouldn't cut it. Maximum throughput was around 20 to 40 mb/s and that was without any vpn.

Snort is limited to a single core so it would be even slower.

the asus firmware has great qos and parental controls and network filtering built it including time limits. Perhaps that may more what you are looking for.

I would probably be looking for something outside of the router. I have no issues with throwing up a stand-alone box, either physical or virtual. Something that would be web based for configuration would be nice.

Multiple NIC configuration is fine also for internal and external access.