What's new

AiProtection and Security Suites (Norton, Bitdefender, etc.)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muckle_dabuckle

Occasional Visitor
I recently dropped Norton for Bitdefender Total Security after ten years because I wanted to try something new (I know the cool thing to do now is use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender). I also have an 86u with all of the AiProtection features turned on. A lot of the features seem to be redundant between the Bitdefender features and AiProtection. I turned off secure browsing in Bitdefender because Trend Micro already "monitors" my Web traffic through AiProtection and I thought having two services do the same thing may slow my Internet speeds down. I did notice Bitdefender blocked a phishing site that AiProtection missed before I turned secure browsing off.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what features to turn on/off between AiProtection and security suites?

Last edited:
I recently dropped Norton for Bitdefender Total Security after ten years because I wanted to try something new (I know the cool thing to do now is use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender). I also have an 86u with all of the AiProtection features turned on. A lot of the features seem to be redundant between the Bitdefender features and AiProtection. I turned off secure browsing in Bitdefender because Trend Micro already "monitors" my Web traffic through AiProtection and I thought having two services do the same thing may slow my Internet speeds down. I did notice Bitdefender blocked a phishing site that AiProtection missed before I turned secure browsing off.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what features to turn on/off between AiProtection and security suites?

If you have slow connection or older computer you may see some slowest. I use AiProtection and ESET Security and I have not really noticed any slowest. I have seen ESET Security block some pages the AiProtection didn't. For me I like having the double protection. As always YMMV.

I have seen ESET Security block some pages the AiProtection didn't. For me I like having the double protection. As always YMMV.

Good point about the double protection. I have a two-year-old computer that I built myself that has pretty decent specs and good Internet speeds. I did notice some slowdown when I had all of Bitdefender's secure browsing features turned on, but I think it was the "search defender" feature that ranks the safety of your Web searches. I'll have to experiment some more (right now I have a bunch of features turned off that I know AiProtection handles). It's nice that Bitdefender has so many options you can turn on/off.

There are also privacy considerations to think of. I don't remember how AiProtection scans your e-mails. Bitdefender has the feature where you can block e-mails in Cyrillic and Asian characters or just scan incoming e-mails. Not sure I want two companies scanning my e-mails. It may be good to have double protection though. Decisions...

Good point about the double protection. I have a two-year-old computer that I built myself that has pretty decent specs and good Internet speeds. I did notice some slowdown when I had all of Bitdefender's secure browsing features turned on, but I think it was the "search defender" feature that ranks the safety of your Web searches. I'll have to experiment some more (right now I have a bunch of features turned off that I know AiProtection handles). It's nice that Bitdefender has so many options you can turn on/off.

There are also privacy considerations to think of. I don't remember how AiProtection scans your e-mails. Bitdefender has the feature where you can block e-mails in Cyrillic and Asian characters or just scan incoming e-mails. Not sure I want two companies scanning my e-mails. It may be good to have double protection though. Decisions...

I know that's the tough part. I haven't looked at Bitdefender's email scanner, does it have a folder in your mailbox that shows what emails have been blocked? I would hate to have a legit email get blocked and not know about.

I haven't looked at Bitdefender's email scanner, does it have a folder in your mailbox that shows what emails have been blocked? I would hate to have a legit email get blocked and not know about.

I'm not 100% sure. There is a Bitdefender tab in Outlook by default where you have the option of two rules: move message to deleted items and mark spam as read. So it seems to me that Bitdefender automatically deletes e-mails it considers spam and sends them to the deleted items folder, but you can prevent that by turning the feature off (obviously) or adding trusted e-mail addresses to a list (you can add e-mail addresses to a list as either "spam" or "friends"). I swear I saw a setting where you could have only incoming e-mails scanned or only outgoing e-mails scanned or both....can't find it now. I also wonder if Bitdefender no longer scans e-mails from addresses in the friends list. Not clear.