What's new

AIProtection - Parental Control - Time Scheduling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

austenpowers

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Merlin (384.17) and i've found recently that the "Parental Control Time Scheduling" feature in the webUI is not working. I mean it's partially working, but the problems i'm having with it qualify it as "not working" in my opinion. I have two devices set up with Parental Controls and both were initially set to "Block". Oddly only 1 device showed up in my client list, but I thought, hey, no big deal. Then i lightened up a bit and decided to let these devices have connectivity on a timed basis. I could modify one device, but the other i cannot. Only one device is appearing in the Client List and when i try to change my other device which is not listed, by re-adding it, it says "this entry has been in list". So it's not letting me modify the second device.

So aside from this possibly being an issue with the Merlin f/w, is there a way i can modify my Parental Control via commandline? Is there a .conf file somewhere that i can edit or some script i can run for this?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Magically, my second device suddenly appeared. I did nothing but enter and exit the Parental Control section multiple times. At first I was unable to modify the time range, but after deleting and re-adding the client MANY times, it finally allowed me to enter a time range. And i can confirm it is now working. I call this pounding the square peg through the round hole troubleshooting :)

But i'm still hoping there is a script or commandline option for modifying the parental controls. I'd rather not rely on the webUI. The webUI has become very unreliable (sometimes unresponsive) since i've upgraded to Merlin f/w.

After flashing to RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset/Initialize all settings and then minimally and manually configure the router (i.e. you did not use a saved backup config file) to secure it and connect to your ISP?

No issues with the GUI for myself or others that I recall? What router are we talking about here? :)

Talking about an RT-AC86U.

No, i did not do a full reset (although I recall you've told me that already). I will do that and see how things go.