What's new

AiProtection status page does not update! nor block anything anymore?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magnus_SL

Occasional Visitor
HI,

Running the latest stock firmware on RT-AC88U no blocking via AiProtection seems to occur. Lat update was sept 2019. Since then there are zero updates to the AiProtection page. Has it stopped working completely or is it just the page update that is "dead".
Tried browsing the Internet and various forums but I could only find posts about AiProtection - to use or not to use.

I have had it switched on since day one when I purchased the router and it has flagged/blocked a lot up until sep 2019 when it completely stoppen updating the page as well as to block any users on my lan.

Any news about this would be very interesting.
Thanks!
/Magnus

HI,

Running the latest stock firmware on RT-AC88U no blocking via AiProtection seems to occur. Lat update was sept 2019. Since then there are zero updates to the AiProtection page. Has it stopped working completely or is it just the page update that is "dead".
Tried browsing the Internet and various forums but I could only find posts about AiProtection - to use or not to use.

I have had it switched on since day one when I purchased the router and it has flagged/blocked a lot up until sep 2019 when it completely stoppen updating the page as well as to block any users on my lan.

Thanks!
/Magnus

Known issue, but don't know what it means. I assume its dysfunctional and withdrew from all Trend Micro features.

OE

HI,

Thanks!
/Magnus

Its performance is simply terrible it takes ram but actually blocks something only when some1 gives me link to test if it works . It blocks nothing if you have adblock in your web browser . Just turn it off and stop it spying on you which is one of the half baked features asus added for marketing. Wtfast actually is working but the main goal of its work is to make your connection impossible to use because it uses only banana republic hosts funny.

Its performance is simply terrible it takes ram but actually blocks something only when some1 gives me link to test if it works . It blocks nothing if you have adblock in your web browser . Just turn it off and stop it spying on you which is one of the half baked features asus added for marketing. Wtfast actually is working but the main goal of its work is to make your connection impossible to use because it uses only banana republic hosts funny.

Sure but adblock works with browsers. It does not block inside out connection attempts from rougue apps on phones or software installed on pc. I have had several blocks until it stopped working.

Sure but adblock works with browsers. It does not block inside out connection attempts from rougue apps on phones or software installed on pc. I have had several blocks until it stopped working.

What version is it showing . Mine says updated ~.162 version 2018/05/05 so its kinda broken i guess.

What version is it showing . Mine says updated ~.162 version 2018/05/05 so its kinda broken i guess.

Mine "stopped" to update the page in Aug 2018. I have tried test sites (malicious) and they are flagged, still no update on the page though!. But I do not get blocked two way ips etc. I have e-mailed Asus as well as reported it on their vulnerability site but not avail (so far). Weird. Should be lots of people complaining about this. The feature of AiProtection is very much the same principle of industry routers from e.g. Fortinet and Cisco. They also employ packet scanning, url, rogue inside out requests and more. However to an amount per month that is not for home users. Despite AiP not being as extensive or good it is still worthwhile (in my opinion).

Mine "stopped" to update the page in Aug 2018. I have tried test sites (malicious) and they are flagged, still no update on the page though!. But I do not get blocked two way ips etc. I have e-mailed Asus as well as reported it on their vulnerability site but not avail (so far). Weird. Should be lots of people complaining about this. The feature of AiProtection is very much the same principle of industry routers from e.g. Fortinet and Cisco. They also employ packet scanning, url, rogue inside out requests and more. However to an amount per month that is not for home users. Despite AiP not being as extensive or good it is still worthwhile (in my opinion).

It should not be allowed to do stuff like this considering its only on limited number of devices. They can always defend and say its working just not updated. Once i saw how Wtfast works i knew everything is possible with asus :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It should not be allowed to do stuff like this considering its only on limited number of devices. They can always defend and say its working just not updated. Once i saw how Wtfast works i knew everything is possible with asus :D

Well, in one way I can agree with you. Many companies, not just Asus release HW and SW way too early and users become the patient guinea pigs. As for WtFast I agree. I do not understand how anyone could believe that feature. Still, AiProtection is a different matter. People talk about privacy all the time as if adblockers would work not knowing what/where you are on the Internet. The same goes for VPN, either your ISP knows your footprint or the VPN-provider. It is a matter of who you trust the most. The VPN solution do give you geoblock solution but other than that not much value. If on hotspot at hotel, airport or resort it is more worth to connect via VPN to your own home router.

Well, in one way I can agree with you. Many companies, not just Asus release HW and SW way too early and users become the patient guinea pigs. As for WtFast I agree. I do not understand how anyone could believe that feature. Still, AiProtection is a different matter. People talk about privacy all the time as if adblockers would work not knowing what/where you are on the Internet. The same goes for VPN, either your ISP knows your footprint or the VPN-provider. It is a matter of who you trust the most. The VPN solution do give you geoblock solution but other than that not much value. If on hotspot at hotel, airport or resort it is more worth to connect via VPN to your own home router.

Yes this is so true except the part where you connect to your home router via vpn ( i dont know technicals) but it sounds dangerous. Any remote access to my router in any form should be removed/disabled.

Yes this is so true except the part where you connect to your home router via vpn ( i dont know technicals) but it sounds dangerous. Any remote access to my router in any form should be removed/disabled.

Well, I agree with you if we talk about remote router web (wan) access. That is a scary function only protected by a user-id and a password in plaintext to get access to your whole router. However accessing your router (not the router admin interface) via OpenVPN is a very good way of being secure online if you have to connect to the Internet via open and unprotected hotspots when e.g. travelling. Even if someone by magic where able to steal your config file, user-id and password they would only be able to access the internet, but via VPN-tunnel through your router and out on the net. If you connect with open hotspots or unknown wifi networks you could never be sure if your packets are being sniffed by man in the middle to intercept your login details, password, e-mail secrets etc.. With a VPN-tunnel to your router, all communication is encrypted and packet content cannot be revealed. This is a much more secure way of being online when not at home. Second best is via your carrier network which is also encrypted (in a different way) but may cost you a fortune in data transfer costs vs free hotspot wifi via your own VPN.

strange, my 86u also have 2.162 but date i ok
aip.png

strange, my 86u also have 2.162 but date i ok
View attachment 21488

Yes probably still working just date is bugged somehow . I said many bad words because with my low quality internet connection everything is unusable with aiprotection on and the benefit of it is 0 because in half year it had 0 hits ( im not saying it wont help once smth happens ) but its not worth the resource consumption in my case. Once i get better internet ill probably turn it on.

for me work ok,
aip.jpeg

Yes probably still working just date is bugged somehow . I said many bad words because with my low quality internet connection everything is unusable with aiprotection on and the benefit of it is 0 because in half year it had 0 hits ( im not saying it wont help once smth happens ) but its not worth the resource consumption in my case. Once i get better internet ill probably turn it on.

I got this from Asus today:

"We also checked that the whole AiProtection function is working without problem; all the functions are working as well as before.
It’s only we remove records of with very low risks in recent firmware update to make system stable, please still feel safe to use AiProtection."

I got this from Asus today:

"We also checked that the whole AiProtection function is working without problem; all the functions are working as well as before.
It’s only we remove records of with very low risks in recent firmware update to make system stable, please still feel safe to use AiProtection."

This comports with this user's experience... AiProtection stopped logging; AiProtection became unstable; AiProtection became stable and continued to not log... but I lost confidence and stopped using it, so I'm not sure what it does now. I suspect they need to improve how it operates... at least fix or remove the logging feature which is not really required except to hype the product.

OE

I can't believe some of you guys still use AiProtection.:eek:
It doesn't help you guys that much. But it gives you the placebo effect which may help you a lot.

I can't believe some of you guys still use AiProtection.:eek:
It doesn't help you guys that much. But it gives you the placebo effect which may help you a lot.

Well, if you think that AIProtection blocking Ransomware is not helping and just a placebo good luck.

AiProtection has stopped 2 ransomware attacks and blocked an infected guest iPhone in the last 2 weeks .

Why do you think Ai is deployed across 1000's of business systems , I suppose all those sys admins are stupid too?

Well, if you think that AIProtection blocking Ransomware is not helping and just a placebo good luck.

AiProtection has stopped 2 ransomware attacks and blocked an infected guest iPhone in the last 2 weeks .

Why do you think Ai is deployed across 1000's of business systems , I suppose all those sys admins are stupid too?

I'll turn it ON and see how it's working.

OE

Aiprotection is working for me with hundreds of entries in it's log. I'm currently at update 2.64 but does anyone know if it causes any wifi problems. when it was at 2.62 everything was working properly but after the 2.64 update my router isn't as stable as it was.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!