What's new

Airplay/Streaming Issues on N66U? - This might help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cvx01

Regular Contributor
After having a ton of issues with audio stopping/dropping at random using either Apple's Airplay natively or using AirAudio on Android (Which emulates Airplay), thought I would post a fix that worked for me as this may help others experiencing similar issues.

If you're having issues, to solve this problem, two settings need to be changed from ASUS default.

On the General Tab under WiFi - You must ENABLE "Optimized for X-Box".

• Reading one of Merlin's past posts, apparently this disables some form of error correction used so XBOX can work. However, this is misleading on ASUS part as whatever WiFi setting/standard this changes has to impact more than XBOX users as it does in this case.

On the Professional Tab - You must change the RTS Threshold to 2346

• This enables RTS (Request to Send), which improves WiFi connection reliability. For some reason ASUS seems to think this should be disabled by default. Not good for real-time streaming.

These two changes solved all my Airplay issues. I'm running the latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin fork - build 374.43_2-03j9527 and had this problem on every recent version of Merlin.

It's important to note this issue is likely not Merlin/Fork specific as others on stock version of Asus software have reported similar issues. I'm posting here since I'm using the forked version of Merlin.

Attached are the exact WiFi settings that are working, in case anyone needs them. Adjust as needed to fit your country/location/circumstances, etc.

Hope this helps others as this drove me nuts for weeks!

EDIT: You may need to lower the RTS threshold if you continue to have issues. Had to change mine to 2304 to ensure reliability with iPhone using AirPlay. Android via AirPlay however worked fine using 2346. YMMV depending on device and distance from router. This setting by far seems to make a big difference.

Attachments

• 9-13-2014 8-37-04 AM.jpg
    9-13-2014 8-37-04 AM.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 864
  • 9-13-2014 8-37-18 AM.jpg
    9-13-2014 8-37-18 AM.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 701
Last edited: