1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Airplay to isolated Guest WiFi network possible?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by azdeltawye, Jul 22, 2019.

1. azdeltawye

azdeltawye Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I have an Apple TV on one of my guest wireless networks and would like to allow iOS devices that reside on my main LAN to Airplay to to the Apple TV. I have the guest networks isolated (no intranet access) and primarily use them for IOT devices.

Can I use port forwarding, custom routing tables or firewall whitelists to allow bridging between iPhone, iPad and ATV?

BTW, I am using the RT AC86U for the main router with the latest Merlin firmware. Also running YazFi WiFi and Skynet firewall scripts but haven't learned how to tap into their potential yet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx

2. owine

owine Regular Contributor

Try creating a avahi-daemon.conf.add file with the following contents:
    Code:
    [reflector]
    enable-reflector=yes
    If you are able to ping your Apple TV from the primary LAN, the above should make it visible for AirPlay. If you can't even so much as ping, then you will likely need to mess with the isolation settings.

Think of the issue as two parts, one being connectivity and the other being the ability for devices to advertise/announce themselves and their capabilities. The Avahi file above will address part two, but you need part one for it to be effective.

3. azdeltawye

azdeltawye Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion however I am unable to ping anything on the guest network. And this is by design seeing how I do not want devices on the guest network accessing the primary LAN...

My ultimate goal would be to "whitelist" the iPhone & iPad with respect to the Apple TV such that the ATV would only have access to my mobile devices and nothing else on the primary LAN.