What's new

Airplay to isolated Guest WiFi network possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azdeltawye

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an Apple TV on one of my guest wireless networks and would like to allow iOS devices that reside on my main LAN to Airplay to to the Apple TV. I have the guest networks isolated (no intranet access) and primarily use them for IOT devices.

Can I use port forwarding, custom routing tables or firewall whitelists to allow bridging between iPhone, iPad and ATV?

BTW, I am using the RT AC86U for the main router with the latest Merlin firmware. Also running YazFi WiFi and Skynet firewall scripts but haven't learned how to tap into their potential yet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

Hello,

I have an Apple TV on one of my guest wireless networks and would like to allow iOS devices that reside on my main LAN to Airplay to to the Apple TV. I have the guest networks isolated (no intranet access) and primarily use them for IOT devices.

Can I use port forwarding, custom routing tables or firewall whitelists to allow bridging between iPhone, iPad and ATV?

BTW, I am using the RT AC86U for the main router with the latest Merlin firmware. Also running YazFi WiFi and Skynet firewall scripts but haven't learned how to tap into their potential yet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Try creating a avahi-daemon.conf.add file with the following contents:
Code:
[reflector]
enable-reflector=yes
If you are able to ping your Apple TV from the primary LAN, the above should make it visible for AirPlay. If you can't even so much as ping, then you will likely need to mess with the isolation settings.

Think of the issue as two parts, one being connectivity and the other being the ability for devices to advertise/announce themselves and their capabilities. The Avahi file above will address part two, but you need part one for it to be effective.

If you are able to ping your Apple TV from the primary LAN, the above should make it visible for AirPlay. If you can't even so much as ping, then you will likely need to mess with the isolation settings.

Thanks for the suggestion however I am unable to ping anything on the guest network. And this is by design seeing how I do not want devices on the guest network accessing the primary LAN...

My ultimate goal would be to "whitelist" the iPhone & iPad with respect to the Apple TV such that the ATV would only have access to my mobile devices and nothing else on the primary LAN.