What's new

Airport Express and USB hub?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brodstein

New Around Here
I have several USB devices: a Seiko label printer, a Fujitsu scanner, a Dymo label printer, a Brother printer, etc.

I use an Apple iMac, and have a wireless and ethernet network based on the Airport Extreme.

I would like to move the various USB devices off my desk to create more space, and would like to move them to a side cabinet which has access to my network via ethernet. (I realize I could run a USB cable from my iMac to the side cabinet, but I don't want to have a cable running across the floor.)

If I buy an Airport Express (which has a USB port) and place it on the side cabinet, can I connect a USB hub to that USB port so that I can place all the USB devices on the side cabinet?

The Apple website suggests that this can only be done with the Airport Extreme, not the Airport Express:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

Are there other alternatives?

Thank you!

I have several USB devices: a Seiko label printer, a Fujitsu scanner, a Dymo label printer, a Brother printer, etc.

I use an Apple iMac, and have a wireless and ethernet network based on the Airport Extreme.

I would like to move the various USB devices off my desk to create more space, and would like to move them to a side cabinet which has access to my network via ethernet. (I realize I could run a USB cable from my iMac to the side cabinet, but I don't want to have a cable running across the floor.)

If I buy an Airport Express (which has a USB port) and place it on the side cabinet, can I connect a USB hub to that USB port so that I can place all the USB devices on the side cabinet?

The Apple website suggests that this can only be done with the Airport Extreme, not the Airport Express:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

Are there other alternatives?

Thank you!

AirPort Express - you're RAM/CPU limited, and the firmware is limited compared to the AirPort Extreme - in any event, a direct connection to the USB host is always better than a shared network connection over wireless.

Hate to say it, but pragmatically, you're better off moving your side cabinet than trying to do Printer/Scanner/Drive sharing over WiFi.

just saying...