What's new

Airport Extreme/Express Signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrooklynStudent

New Around Here
I have an airport extreme for the main router of my place on a floor above me. I have an airport express in my room to boost the signal. At first, it was fine, but it seems that I still have problems connecting sometimes. A friend of mine installed Kismac, and it recognizes both the airport extreme and express. My mac's list of networks only recognizes one. What happens it seems is that my extreme starts to lose signal, and then my express follows suit. Also, Kismac says that my network switches from "managed" to "probe". I am not sure what this is or why it does this. I am unfortunately unable to change the location of the extreme router, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep the extreme's signal from dropping.

Programs like Kismac will see only WiFi traffic. Your problem could be due to non-WiFi RF interference, primarily cordless phones and microwave ovens. The only way to see that is to use an RF analyzer like the Wi-Spy.