What's new

Airport Extreme vs WNDR3700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shadewind

New Around Here
I'm not sure if this has been up before but after Googling a bit, I'm getting mixed opinions (not uncommon of course).

My two main computers are a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro though only the Mac Pro will be connecting through Wi-Fi. Since I only have Macs, I don't mind the AirPort Utility since it's included in OS X anyway. I also have guests who will be connecting through Wi-Fi.

Which one of these is the fastest? The features I can compare myself but real world speed is not something I can measure of course. Many people on this forum say that the Netgear is the faster one but here's a link that says otherwise: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1120039

I have both, and use both. The 3700 has stronger signal strength on both 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz if range is a real issue for you. Both fine at 2.4 Ghz covering my 3 level home. 3700 covers all floors at 5 Ghz, and extreme covers 2 floors. Extreme speed tests faster on internet of the 2. 3700 is buggy and waiting for the seem to never come firmware updates from Netgear. Extreme is rock solid and no firmware updates needed as I have no issues. Extreme runs forever without reboots, 3700 needs reboots every 5-7 days. In the real world I doubt you would ever really feel a speed difference between the 2. So the short of it is: The 3700 wins on shear signal range, and Extreme wins on stability....Scott

Sounds like the Airport Extreme would be the way to go since I like stability a lot.

How is the Airport Extreme compared to other routers in range and speed?

Is the Airport Extreme really that much more stable? I'm in the same boat here and need some serious advice. Ive read a ton on both and can see the pros and cons on both. can anyone share more experience?

Is the Airport Extreme really that much more stable? I'm in the same boat here and need some serious advice. Ive read a ton on both and can see the pros and cons on both. can anyone share more experience?

Yes. I just replaced my WNDR3700 with an Extreme and couldn't be happier. I had problems with certain devices randomly not wanting to connect to the Netgear unless I rebooted the router. Total nuisance. Bought the Extreme on a whim and couldn't be happier with it. Solid as a rock and EVERYTHING in our house connects flawlessly now, first time, every time.

If you have a mostly Mac environment the Extreme is a no brainer in my opinion. Also, it's the only router that I'm aware of that can send a wakeup signal to a sleeping iMac or MacBook. (this has to be turned on in the imac to work) I use this a lot with my apple tv to automatically wake up the imac for home sharing to stream files from iTunes. Works flawlessly. I haven't had to reboot the Extreme even once so far. Still can't believe that as all my previous 7 or 8 routers over the years always needed a reboot sooner or later. Cheers!

James

P.S. It works great with other products as well besides Apple. Mine connects an iMac, Apple TV2, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, various PC's, netbook, work laptop, Wii, Sony PS3 and a lexmark wireless printer. All working perfectly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!