What's new

All over the place....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mokume1

Occasional Visitor
I think my TP Link TL SG116 unmanaged network switch is going wonkers because when I add an additional Asus AX6600 mesh node to it, the Asus web based GUI topology chart will show other wired backhaul nodes as being disconnected and then re-connect, this cycle will repeat itself constantly, with the up/down times lasting about 15 seconds.

Additionally 1 of the wired nodes is currently feeding off another wired node, the chart will show this, then incorrectly show it's connection as if it was wired directly to the switch, this cycle will repeat itself constantly as well.

If I disconnect the node causing the problem, the system will normalize after 30 seconds or so.

This particular switch has 16 ports, of which 9 are presently in use, so I don't think it's being overtaxed, the metal case is warm, but not hot to the touch. For what it's worth, I've a small fan directed at it which hasn't helped, the chart is still all over the place.

The switch is about 4 years old, should I condemn it? What has been other member's experiences with TP Link switches?

As a side note, I have very little faith in the accuracy in Asus's web based GUI itself, nor the app, I can rename the nodes location, after about 5 seconds it will revert back to "Home", which, I'm assuming is the default location name...

Last edited:
I really doubt it's the switch's fault.

I'm wondering if the node is confused about packet forwarding rules and is creating two possible routing paths between everything on your LAN (i.e., either direct or via a wireless hop to the node and then out onto the LAN). That sort of forwarding loop can cause the kind of symptom you describe. Make sure the node thinks it is an access point and not a media bridge.

this cycle will repeat itself constantly, with the up/down times lasting about 15 seconds.
I agree with Tgl, the cyclic nature of this does indicate that you're looping, and it looks like a spanning tree loop. You have a device on your network (possibly the switch or the node) that believes it is the root bridge of the network and is in conflict with the true root bridge. So, yeah, make sure your other node is set as an access point. If it already is, or if the change doesn't solve the problem, remove the TP Link switch and see if that resolves the issue.

Power down all your wired equipment. Including the modem/ONT. With the power cord physically disconnected and the power switch left 'On' (if possible).

Leave the power off for at least a couple of minutes or longer before powering everything up in the order below.

• ISP modem/ONT - wait for it to be fully booted - about 5 minutes.
  • main router - wait for it to be fully booted...
  • switches
  • nodes - one at a time, waiting for each to be fully booted.
  • each hardwired device you have, one at a time.
For each of the steps above, where applicable, test that the network is working as expected. Until you turn on the next device.

Also, have you checked your Ethernet cables for possible issues? Test with a quality Cat5e cable to do so.

I would also discard/turn that fan off too...

I think my TP Link TL SG116 unmanaged network switch is going wonkers because when I add an additional Asus AX6600 mesh node to it, the Asus web based GUI topology chart will show other wired backhaul nodes as being disconnected and then re-connect, this cycle will repeat itself constantly, with the up/down times lasting about 15 seconds.

Additionally 1 of the wired nodes is currently feeding off another wired node, the chart will show this, then incorrectly show it's connection as if it was wired directly to the switch, this cycle will repeat itself constantly as well.

If I disconnect the node causing the problem, the system will normalize after 30 seconds or so.

This particular switch has 16 ports, of which 9 are presently in use, so I don't think it's being overtaxed, the metal case is warm, but not hot to the touch. For what it's worth, I've a small fan directed at it which hasn't helped, the chart is still all over the place.

The switch is about 4 years old, should I condemn it? What has been other member's experiences with TP Link switches?

As a side note, I have very little faith in the accuracy in Asus's web based GUI itself, nor the app, I can rename the nodes location, after about 5 seconds it will revert back to "Home", which, I'm assuming is the default location name...
1. The switch power adapter is gone.
2. The switch is gone.
3. Ethernet cable issue.
4. That's TP-LINK.

I'm wondering if the node is confused about packet forwarding rules and is creating two possible routing paths between everything on your LAN (i.e., either direct or via a wireless hop to the node and then out onto the LAN). That sort of forwarding loop can cause the kind of symptom you describe. Make sure the node thinks it is an access point and not a media bridge.

I'm a bit confused as to what you refer to as the node's setting, are each individual nodes capable of being set as an access point or a media bridge?

The attachment shows the system's operation mode set as wireless router mode/AI Mesh router mode, would not this setting apply to the main router and subsequent nodes attached to the system?

I'll be attaching another screen shot to a subsequent response, (I'm not tech savvy enough to attach multiple screenshots) it has me even more confused.

1675983368873.png

This screenshot shows 2 wired backhaul nodes (outside patio & garage) as being disconnected, yet both LED's on the nodes are solid white, confusing.

Notice also that an AX node (home) is successfully connected wirelessly to the main router, yet it's LED is flashing blue.

Would it make a difference as to how the ethernet cables are connected to the nodes?
Currently the kitchen node is connected via my switch, while the outside patio and garage nodes are connected directly to a LAN port on the router, would this setup be an issue?

Thanks!

1675984866619.png

This screenshot shows 2 wired backhaul nodes (outside patio & garage) as being disconnected, yet both LED's on the nodes are solid white, confusing.

Notice also that an AX node (home) is successfully connected wirelessly to the main router, yet it's LED is flashing blue.

Would it make a difference as to how the ethernet cables are connected to the nodes?
Currently the kitchen node is connected via my switch, while the outside patio and garage nodes are connected directly to a LAN port on the router, would this setup be an issue?

Thanks!

View attachment 47818
You have 5 routers in this mesh? How big is your house? I have a 5200 sq ft house over 3 stories with lots of walls and stucco backed with chicken wire to boot, and my 1 + 2 nodes are more than adequate. They also serve my deck, my driveway, and my woodshop, which is 40 feet away from the house (through chicken wire stucco). I'm not saying they aren't needed, but at first blush, that number seems excessive and could be contributing to your problems.

I don't have an AIMesh setup at the moment so I can't check exactly where to look, but I'm wondering if the nodes are confused about whether they are supposed to do wired or wireless backhaul.

I don't have an AIMesh setup at the moment so I can't check exactly where to look, but I'm wondering if the nodes are confused about whether they are supposed to do wired or wireless backhaul.
With 5 routers competing for air time, I'm pretty sure they're all confused.

You have 5 routers in this mesh? How big is your house? I have a 5200 sq ft house over 3 stories with lots of walls and stucco backed with chicken wire to boot, and my 1 + 2 nodes are more than adequate. They also serve my deck, my driveway, and my woodshop, which is 40 feet away from the house (through chicken wire stucco). I'm not saying they aren't needed, but at first blush, that number seems excessive and could be contributing to your problems.
It may sound excessive, but the system worked just fine 2 weeks ago, that is what's stumping me.

Perhaps I will take your advice (and others) and downsize it...for what it's worth the 3 AX nodes were free.

Perhaps I will take your advice (and others) and downsize it...for what it's worth the 3 AX nodes were free.

It's widely understood that "less is more" when it comes to access points. Use the fewest you possibly can to get adequate coverage of your space. It's not clear whether having too many is the direct cause of your seeming forwarding problem --- but it can certainly lead to poor wireless performance.

I don't even know what is using this Wi-Fi 6E band on ET8. All the devices perhaps use its 2x2 radio. I would remove ET8 completely and replace it with XT8 in locations IT Closet and Kitchen plus eventually the third one in Garage location. At least XT8 has usable 2x Wi-Fi 6 bands.

I've wisely decided to take all your advice and downsized my system to just 2 ET8 units, one acting as the router, the other as wired backhaul mesh node.

System performance has been excellent for the past 3 hours...

I subscribe (sometimes ignorantly) to the idiom "If some is good, more is better" , I sure was mistaken when it comes to networking.

Mucho "Mahalo" to all those who responded, this is an excellent forum!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!