What's new

[alpha] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 pre-beta test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
A few test builds are now available:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test_Builds

As usual, these have received very limited testing, and are work-in-progress, and no support will be provided for them.

The only models available at this time are those that can be found there, so don't ask for any missing models: I can't compile them until Asus provides a compatible GPL release.

Main change at this time is the merge with GPL 380_7627. Keep an eye on Github for more details (the github hash tag is part of the firmware filename BTW).

In the change log it says only the 88 and 5300 are updated to 7627 does this include the 3100 since its almost the same as the 88 ?

The 3100 is in the list : RT-AC3100_380_67_alpha1 -g1e7f298.zip
i am jealous :D

I know its in the list but the change log only refers to GPL change to 7627 for the 88 and 5300.

.67 Beta (xx-xxx-2017)
- NEW: Merged with GPL 380_7627 (only AC88 and AC5300 for now).

I'll flash to it later and see what happens. What's the deal I see two different ones for the 88u?

Every thing working great on 380.67 alpha (latest date), on my RT5300 with 52 clients. Ipv6 also works.

A few test builds are now available:
Hi RMerlin,

I just installed the newest alpha-build 67 on my RT-AC5300 and I have the following problem:
After updating (without resetting NVRAM), wireless channels 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 are set on the same control channel (36) when all configurations are set on auto. 5GHz-2 doesn't even seem to show up as an available wireless channel on my devices. If I do a manually configuration then there is no problem, channel 5GHz-2 shows up.
But when I use 'Smart Connect' all settings are set on auto again and channel 5GHz-2 is back on control channel 36 (it does not move to higher frequencies).

Then I did a full reset. Even with a clean install (all settings untouched) the above problem is still there.

So in my case channel 5GHz-2 does not configure well when set on auto configuration, including when on 'Smart Connect'.

With kind regards,

Cor

It seems that there is a wrong call in Advanced_WAN_Content.asp for wan_hostname check:
Code:
	if(document.form.wan_hostname.value.length > 0){
		var alert_str = validator.domainName(document.form.wan_hostname);
It means that hostname check will always fail because it has wrong format for domain (domain.com).

Also there is a small issue in validator.js (in fact only unnecessary code, not doubled but with the same result but once without translation) in hostName function:
Code:
hostName: function (obj){
		var re = new RegExp("^[a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9\-\_]+$","gi");
		if(re.test(obj.value)){
			return "";
		}
		else if(location.pathname == "/" || location.pathname == "/index.asp"){
			return "Client device name only accept alphanumeric characters, under line and dash symbol. The first character cannot be dash \"-\" or under line \"_\".";
		}
		else{
			return "<#JS_validhostname#>";
}

Hi RMerlin,

I just installed the newest alpha-build 67 on my RT-AC5300 and I have the following problem:
After updating (without resetting NVRAM), wireless channels 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 are set on the same control channel (36) when all configurations are set on auto. 5GHz-2 doesn't even seem to show up as an available wireless channel on my devices. If I do a manually configuration then there is no problem, channel 5GHz-2 shows up.
But when I use 'Smart Connect' all settings are set on auto again and channel 5GHz-2 is back on control channel 36 (it does not move to higher frequencies).

Then I did a full reset. Even with a clean install (all settings untouched) the above problem is still there.

So in my case channel 5GHz-2 does not configure well when set on auto configuration, including when on 'Smart Connect'.

With kind regards,

Cor

New Driver included with GPL might be responsible, just my two cents do it manually and forget auto connect. I found to be hassle when devices jumping around to much.

ref: From changelog:
- CHANGED: Remember chosen sort method on DHCP static reservations page.

This is great! While you are at it, can you make
a) Network Map -> Client List do the same thing?
b) Sort client name ascending (first), then toggle to descending on second click?
c) Sort client IP address ascending (first), then toggle to descending on second click?

New Driver included with GPL might be responsible, just my two cents do it manually and forget auto connect. I found to be hassle when devices jumping around to much.

It was working in build 66_2, I like it and it was one of the main reasons I bought this router. So at least the choice for not using it, should be made after the fact that 'smart connect' is working properly. Then you have choice. ;-)

I flashed to 67 alpha just a short time ago and will report back if anything abnormal occurs. I'm a little late to the party but I just realized that I could use custom icons for my devices so I also did that as well.

Edit: I've also noticed that under network tools that the ping feature is now working for me using IE 11 where it wouldn't using variants of 380.66.

Last edited:
I just wanted to follow up today that my wireless clients are doing fine on this firmware and that my 2.4ghz signal doesn't dip as much as it did on the previous firmware versions. I will continue to monitor how the router is behaving but this firmware is looking very promising and I hope that it continues along this path.:D

OpenVPN speeds started to suffer again on the AC88U router with OpenVPN set to All Traffic on release 380.66_2. No issues with speed on the router with Policy Rules. The previous fix was to factory reset. I was about ready to do this before I saw the post about the 380.67 Alpha. I went ahead and flashed it to Alpha 380.67. OpenVPN speeds were still low after the flash. I did a factory reset and restore using the NVRAM backup and restore utility and the OpenVPN speeds returned to what are normal levels for me. I have been up and running for 24 hours now with no issues.

I did have issues connecting to the hidden 2.4 wifi channel on my windows 10 client. But other devices did not have an issue. The fix was to make it unhidden and connect. I then made it hidden again and have been able to connect ever since. It is a windows issue in my opinion.

I'm happy to report that my 2.4ghz radio signal is still superior on this firmware and the valleys in the signal dips are much higher than on any other version I've used. Looking at the graph being produced by Acrylic the low points are roughly on par with my 5ghz signal strength which has never happened before. I don't use any advanced features that have to be scripted in so I cannot comment on them.

It seems that there is a wrong call in Advanced_WAN_Content.asp for wan_hostname check:

This was changed by Asus in 7627 presumably so they can support both hostnames and FQDNs in that field (this is required by some ISPs).

Also there is a small issue in validator.js (in fact only unnecessary code, not doubled but with the same result but once without translation) in hostName function:

This is because Asus wants to display a slightly different error message when the source is from the main index (which is where lies Networkmap's client editing).

This was changed by Asus in 7627 presumably so they can support both hostnames and FQDNs in that field (this is required by some ISPs).
Only problem is that now I cannot save simple hostname because regex check enables only format xxx.xxx. I still get the message that hostname should contain only AC+digits+underscore+dash, even for simple hostname like abc (that's what my ISP requested from me).

This is because Asus wants to display a slightly different error message when the source is from the main index (which is where lies Networkmap's client editing).
It may be OK once the message is different but currently the message is the same. That's why I wrote not about code but message duplicity. Anyway it's easy to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!