What's new

[Alpha] Preview builds for Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Like in the last recent development cycles, I will once again be occasionally uploading alpha builds.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test Builds

Once again, NO SUPPORT IS PROVIDED for these builds. I welcome any feedback posted in this thread, don't expect responses or immediate fix for any encountered issue. These are pre-beta, therefore they are known to be unfinished builds.

Make sure you read the Changelog before flashing.

If a model isn't available for download, then it's because it's either not working, or can't be compiled at this time. Do not ask for specific models, what's there are the only models available at that time.

Like in the last recent development cycles, I will once again be occasionally uploading alpha builds.

Once again, NO SUPPORT IS PROVIDED for these builds. I welcome any feedback posted in this thread, don't expect responses or immediate fix for any encountered issue. These are pre-beta, therefore they are known to be unfinished builds.

If a model isn't available for download, then it's because it's either not working, or can't be compiled at this time. Do not ask for specific models, what's there are the only models available at that time.
Thanks for the update Merlin! There might be a typo in the title of this post. I think you meant 380.60 release.

Thanks for the update Merlin! There might be a typo in the title of this post. I think you meant 380.60 release.

Thanks I'll fix it.

So if I try this alpha, I won't be able to go back to 380.59 on my AC88U?
I realize that's the first thing the "read me" says but I guess I want to double check.

So if I try this alpha, I won't be able to go back to 380.59 on my AC88U?
I realize that's the first thing the "read me" says but I guess I want to double check.

There's a number of posts on the forums indicating that people were able to flash previous versions by using firmware recovery mode. I never tried it myself, so I can't confirm if that works for all models, nor if it will keep working in the future.

I'm itching to install this on my RT-AC56U but I think I'll have to hold on for now. The lack of an easy downgrade path makes the whole thing very risky and I just can't afford an issue with the router at the moment as the connection is used for professional work.

So I tried compiling the firmware myself and failed. This is the error I am getting:
Code:
make -C shared
make[5]: Entering directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/shared'
 [shared] CC shutils.o
shutils.c: In function ‘enc_str’:
shutils.c:1766:9: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘strcpy’ differ in signedness
/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/../arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/string.h:84:14: note: expected ‘char * __restrict__’ but argument is of type ‘unsigned char *’
shutils.c: In function ‘dec_str’:
shutils.c:1783:9: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘shortstr_decrypt’ differ in signedness
shutils.c:1731:1: note: expected ‘unsigned char *’ but argument is of type ‘char *’
 [shared] CC linux_timer.o
 [shared] CC defaults.o
 [shared] CC model.o
 [shared] CC rtstate.o
rtstate.c: In function ‘is_phy_connect’:
rtstate.c:55:17: warning: unused variable ‘wan_sbstate’
rtstate.c:55:6: warning: unused variable ‘wan_state’
 [shared] CC boardapi.o
 [shared] CC misc.o
 [shared] CC version.o
 [shared] CC files.o
 [shared] CC strings.o
 [shared] CC process.o
 [shared] CC bin_sem_asus.o
 [shared] CC semaphore.o
 [shared] CC pids.o
 [shared] CC notify_rc.o
 [shared] CC discover.o
 [shared] CC base64.o
 [shared] CC nvparse.o
 [shared] CC wl.o
 [shared] CC wl_linux.o
 [shared] CC broadcom.o
 [shared] CC api-broadcom.o
 [shared] CC usb.o
 [shared] CC at_cmd.o
 [shared] CC ifaddrs.o
make[5]: *** No rule to make target 'tcode.c', needed by 'tcode.o'.  Stop.
make[5]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/shared'
Makefile:1908: recipe for target 'shared' failed
make[4]: *** [shared] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
Makefile:785: recipe for target 'obj_prelibs' failed
make[3]: *** [obj_prelibs] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
Makefile:185: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'
Makefile:2563: recipe for target 'bin' failed
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'
Makefile:2633: recipe for target 'rt-ac56u' failed
make: *** [rt-ac56u] Error 2
tcode.o is a prebuilt object from what I see, added with commit 9fe2a70 on github. As far as I can tell, there in no such file tcode.c anywhere in the sources so I am not sure what is going on exactly.

I am running it on my RT-AC5300 without any issues. It appears to be very stable.

Last edited:
Updated from 380.59 to 380.60 on RT-AC68U , update process goes to 100%, reboot and after that on firmware version it displayed 380.59_0... So nothing happens, tried 2 times with same result.

L.E. Re-downloaded the firmware and flashed once again... Now it worked fine for me, Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380.60_alpha2-g13cb349

Last edited:
Updated from 380.59 to 380.60 on RT-AC68U , update process goes to 100%, reboot and after that on firmware version it displayed 380.59_0... So nothing happens, tried 2 times with same result.
you should do a factory reset....then will be ok.....

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

L.E. Re-downloaded the firmware and flashed once again... Now it worked fine for me, Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380.60_alpha2-g13cb349

..and if you want to go back? Is it possible, have you tried?

..and if you want to go back? Is it possible, have you tried?
Downgrade not possible, I have tryed right now and after the completion of the downgrade procedure the router still display 380.60_alpha2 ;)
This is the message displayed under the downgrade progress bar:

Attachments

• DownGrade_AsusWRT-Merlin.JPG
    DownGrade_AsusWRT-Merlin.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:
So I tried compiling the firmware myself and failed. This is the error I am getting:
Code:
make -C shared
make[5]: Entering directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/shared'
[shared] CC shutils.o
shutils.c: In function ‘enc_str’:
shutils.c:1766:9: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘strcpy’ differ in signedness
/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/../arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi/sysroot/usr/include/string.h:84:14: note: expected ‘char * __restrict__’ but argument is of type ‘unsigned char *’
shutils.c: In function ‘dec_str’:
shutils.c:1783:9: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘shortstr_decrypt’ differ in signedness
shutils.c:1731:1: note: expected ‘unsigned char *’ but argument is of type ‘char *’
[shared] CC linux_timer.o
[shared] CC defaults.o
[shared] CC model.o
[shared] CC rtstate.o
rtstate.c: In function ‘is_phy_connect’:
rtstate.c:55:17: warning: unused variable ‘wan_sbstate’
rtstate.c:55:6: warning: unused variable ‘wan_state’
[shared] CC boardapi.o
[shared] CC misc.o
[shared] CC version.o
[shared] CC files.o
[shared] CC strings.o
[shared] CC process.o
[shared] CC bin_sem_asus.o
[shared] CC semaphore.o
[shared] CC pids.o
[shared] CC notify_rc.o
[shared] CC discover.o
[shared] CC base64.o
[shared] CC nvparse.o
[shared] CC wl.o
[shared] CC wl_linux.o
[shared] CC broadcom.o
[shared] CC api-broadcom.o
[shared] CC usb.o
[shared] CC at_cmd.o
[shared] CC ifaddrs.o
make[5]: *** No rule to make target 'tcode.c', needed by 'tcode.o'.  Stop.
make[5]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/shared'
Makefile:1908: recipe for target 'shared' failed
make[4]: *** [shared] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
Makefile:785: recipe for target 'obj_prelibs' failed
make[3]: *** [obj_prelibs] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
Makefile:185: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'
Makefile:2563: recipe for target 'bin' failed
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/asuswrt/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'
Makefile:2633: recipe for target 'rt-ac56u' failed
make: *** [rt-ac56u] Error 2
tcode.o is a prebuilt object from what I see, added with commit 9fe2a70 on github. As far as I can tell, there in no such file tcode.c anywhere in the sources so I am not sure what is going on exactly.

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~ $ cd asuswrt/release/src/router/shared/prebuild/models/RT-AC56U/
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt/release/src/router/shared/prebuild/models/RT-AC56U $ ls
private.o  tcode.o
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt/release/src/router/shared/prebuild/models/RT-AC56U $ git log tcode.o
commit 9fe2a7076c3cc6e72a9971c2f93aab795e0ccdae
Author: Eric Sauvageau <rmerl@lostrealm.ca>
Date:   Fri Jun 3 01:36:50 2016 -0400

Added RT-AC56U binary blobs from GPL 3264

commit de9d7676d4fc08d71fd5bc27feadcfd9b83b127b
Date:   Tue Apr 26 20:39:20 2016 -0400

Updated RT-AC56U binary blobs from GPL 2695

commit ba017cf65f5a4196af9d7da16f6feb910203ff17
Date:   Wed Oct 7 17:27:45 2015 -0400

Merge 9135 components for AC66 and AC56

The file should get copied at build time. If it tries to find the source file, then something must be interfering with the prebuild copy stage.

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~ $ cd asuswrt/release/src/router/shared/prebuild/models/RT-AC56U/
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt/release/src/router/shared/prebuild/models/RT-AC56U $ ls
private.o  tcode.o
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt/release/src/router/shared/prebuild/models/RT-AC56U $ git log tcode.o
commit 9fe2a7076c3cc6e72a9971c2f93aab795e0ccdae
Date:   Fri Jun 3 01:36:50 2016 -0400

Added RT-AC56U binary blobs from GPL 3264

commit de9d7676d4fc08d71fd5bc27feadcfd9b83b127b
Date:   Tue Apr 26 20:39:20 2016 -0400

Updated RT-AC56U binary blobs from GPL 2695

commit ba017cf65f5a4196af9d7da16f6feb910203ff17
Date:   Wed Oct 7 17:27:45 2015 -0400

Merge 9135 components for AC66 and AC56

The file should get copied at build time. If it tries to find the source file, then something must be interfering with the prebuild copy stage.
Hmm, the file is exactly where it is supposed to be, has the same gitlog as yours too. I'll start another build and check if it copied anywhere.

EDIT: seems it is copied at release/src/router/shared/prebuild along with private.o but the error persists it keeps looking for the .c file "make[5]: *** No rule to make target 'tcode.c', needed by 'tcode.o'. Stop"

Last edited:
I still have pppd disconneting problems....i change modem from my ISP last week and nothing better....i think something is wrong with asus code.....

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

Hmm, the file is exactly where it is supposed to be, has the same gitlog as yours too. I'll start another build and check if it copied anywhere.

EDIT: seems it is copied at release/src/router/shared/prebuild along with private.o but the error persists it keeps looking for the .c file "make[5]: *** No rule to make target 'tcode.c', needed by 'tcode.o'. Stop"

Try removing the shared/ folder and checking out a fresh copy from Git.