What's new

Alternative firmware for my R7000 on a gigabit connection supporting CTF)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a Netgear R7000 running behind a Netgear CM1000 modem on a gigabit cable connection. Running updated stock FW. I get up to 930 Mbps down which is not bad I think. I do not have any features like parental controls or QOS enabled. As soon as I enable any features speed drops to around 500 mbps.

Is there any alternative firmware supporting CTF (which seems to be the only way to get close to gigabit speed on this model) worth while trying on this router? I have read up on a couple of firmwares but they are not conclusive when it comes to actual CTF support.

Last edited:
Just like stock, if you enable qos, sfewont work on dd-wrt.
You will need more processing power to get as close as possible to your gigabit connection.
Might want to try an r7800 or better yet an Asus rt-ac86u.

Just like stock, if you enable qos, sfewont work on dd-wrt.
You will need more processing power to get as close as possible to your gigabit connection.
Might want to try an r7800 or better yet an Asus rt-ac86u.

I followed you advice and got a R7800 to compare to the R7000 (I'm a Netgear guy and had some trouble with an ASUS back in the day). The R7000 went back to where it came from pretty fast! I did put Voxel's firmware on it right away so I do not know how good it would be with stock FW.

The R7800 gives me between 930 and 980! download speeds. That's unheard of for me. I also have 5 ghz wifi on nearly all devices in my house (yes I use Smartconnect), also unheard of. All in all, the R7800 is the way to go if the R7000 just doesn't do it for you anymore. The R7800 is so good that my family and friends comment on it. Oh, and it covers all of our yard also with usable wifi. The R7000 was not able to do that.

I am hoping the R7800 will serve me as well as the R7000 did over the next three years or so. Thank you for suggestions and advice

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!