What's new

Am I asking too much? RT-AX82U with slow ping speeds maybe due to setup.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keefy

Occasional Visitor
I have a 5 node iMesh (various different models mostly AC67U setup in an open shop. All get strong signal according to web interface

I have 27 devices on the network, 10 of which are wifi connected IP Cameras streaming to a synology DVR.

I have 1 Client machine connecting over a windows share to a database on a server over Wifi.

Server win 10 is cable connected to the router, client win 10 is on wifi in next room or 10 meters away.

Pings were getting upto 950ms.

When I take the 10 cameras offline pings go back to mostly under 10ms. As far as I can tell the data tream from cameras is a constant 2.4Mbps but may be 24

Any thoughts? Too much? Can I fix with QoS?

So would be better to have less nodes? Or is there a router with better backhaul?

I thought it had all sorts of channel splitting that would make all the RF less contentious? That is not competing on same frequencies.

What's the area of this shop?

You have placed nothing much different than 4x extra repeaters.

Last edited:
What's the area of this shop?

You have placed nothing much different than 4x extra repeaters.
Its about 30 (98feet)meters by 40 meters (131feet) or 1200 square meters. Router is in a corner so longest distance is 50meters (164feet) with 1 wall between router and shop made of cinder block.

Without the WAP iMesh nodes the router covers most of the store.

Instead of playing with home routers and AiMesh marketing you need ceiling or wall mounted wired APs with PoE power in right places. Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada are low cost options. Your wireless routers work as repeaters and shared wireless backhaul cuts the throughput to 1/(R+1) where R is the number of hops to the end point (client). This is not a reliable system for business purposes, including wireless cameras.

Last edited:
Yeah I had hopes but I think I could have found the limits of this hardware. I think I will keep this setup for the low bandwidth work stuff and then set up something separate for the cameras. I will look into the TP-Link products as they have good support here.

Just to add to the mix, your equipment is only going to fully interoperate at standards the devices have in common. So no matter how intelligent the RT-AX82u is portrayed as, it'll be limited by the standards of the RT-AC67U routers and how they talk across each other.
I'll be honest, I'm amazed this works at all. Unless you have the main router pretty central you probably have nodes connected to nodes, and all kinds of RF fun going on!

I'll be honest, I'm amazed this works at all.

It works and perhaps shows good signal strength, but the throughput to the further end point is 1/(R+1) where R is the number of hops. Since AiMesh is using the same channel most of the available bandwidth is used by the wireless backhaul. The routers play tennis with the data. Even if the cameras use the second 2.4GHz radio this setup is far from any performance. Perhaps the main router is sending camera streams to the client PC over Wi-Fi as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!