What's new

Am I doing this basic VLAN correctly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Screwdriver

Occasional Visitor
I need to separate my wife office computer and IP phone from everything else. VLAN 1 will be all of our home device, and VLAN 2 will be for my wife's work devices. Both VLANs will be on their own subnet.

I have asked this in a couple places, and am I getting...yes, it will work, and others saying no it will not.

Thanks in advance!

________

I have two smart managed switches, both TP-Link TL-SG108E's, one in my office where the router (TP-Link ER605 V2) is, and one switch in her office. Both are linked on Port 8 on each switch. The switch in my office is connected from Port 1 on the switch, to Port 5 on the router. Port 1 on the router is the WAN.

Router (ER605 V2) Port 1 is WAN, Port 5 to Switch A

VLAN 1: 1-5
VLAN 2: 1,5

Untagged Ports: 1-4
Tagged Ports: 5

Switch A (TL-SG108E) is connected to router (ER605 V2) on Port 1

VLAN 1: 1-8
VLAN 2: 1,8

Untagged Ports: 2-7
Tagged Ports: 1,8

PVID 1: Port 1-8

Switch B (TL-SG108E) is connected to Switch A on Port 8

VLAN 2: 6-8 (Wife’s work computer, and VoIP phone connected to Ports 6 and 7)

Untagged Ports: 1-7
Tagged Ports: 8

PVID 1: Port 1-5,8
PVID 2: Port 6-7

Last edited:
I need to separate my wife office computer and IP phone from everything else. VLAN 1 will be all of our home device, and VLAN 2 will be for my wife's work devices. Both VLANs will be on their own subnet.

I have asked this in a couple places, and am I getting...yes, it will work, and others saying no it will not.

Thanks in advance!

________

I have two smart managed switches, both TP-Link TL-SG108E's, one in my office where the router (TP-Link ER605 V2) is, and one switch in her office. Both are linked on Port 8 on each switch. The switch in my office is connected from Port 1 on the switch, to Port 5 on the router. Port 1 on the router is the WAN.

Router (ER605 V2) Port 1 is WAN, Port 5 to Switch A

VLAN 1: 1-5
VLAN 2: 1,5

Untagged Ports: 1-4
Tagged Ports: 5

Switch A (TL-SG108E) is connected to router (ER605 V2) on Port 1

VLAN 2: 1,8

Untagged Ports: 2-7
Tagged Ports: 1,8

PVID 1: Port 1-8

Switch B (TL-SG108E) is connected to Switch A on Port 8

VLAN 2: 6-8 (Wife’s work computer, and VoIP phone connected to Ports 6 and 7)

Untagged Ports: 1-7
Tagged Ports: 8

PVID 1: Port 1-5,8
PVID 2: Port 6-7

What is the default for the WAN port on the router? You shouldn't need to change that. My guess is that it probably wasn't 1, but maybe. Otherwise looks fine.

Note do not tag VLAN 1 anywhere, on your trunk ports 1 should be untagged and any others should be tagged. Unless the router or switch is designed wrong.

I recently created a separate guest network with VLANs which works well. @drinkingbird is right:

- No tagging on the router at all, not WAN nor LAN
- Trunk on port 1 of switch A allowing both VLAN1 and VLAN 2 to pass (1U, 2T) to the router via LAN
- Trunk on port 8 of switch A and switch B (1U, 2T) to allow both VLANs to pass from switch B through to switch A to the router LAN side
- Switch B, Tag ports 6 (2T) and 7 (2T) - don't tag anything else

You now need to set up the VLAN2 in the router with its own DHCP server and subnet and assign that subnet as the gateway for VLAN2 (if that is the way your router is configured, i don't know brand or type).

I think that should be it. VLAN1 being the default, doesn't need to be touched.

Last edited: