What's new

Am I the only one that disables wireless on my Merlined router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Prodeje79

Regular Contributor
I'm a long time user of Merlin. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th iteration. I've been disabling the wireless radios for a long time. My current setup is basically all tp-link omada besides the router. Oc-200 cloud controller, omada smart Managed switch, and a bunch of APs. I've looked at the omada gateways, but I have not been impressed. I really like the full cone NAT and the FlexQoS. Has anyone located and approached the product manager for ASUS routers? Now to my main thought. ASUS needs to hire on Merlin and bang out a standalone gateway running Merlin. Then maybe take it a step further and put out some APs and be more like Omada and Unfi.

and be more like Omada and Unfi.
Totally different markets. Their goal is to sell easy to configure all-in-one routers for home users.

Totally different markets. Their goal is to sell easy to configure all-in-one routers for home users.
Fair enough. I'd love to not spend money on the wireless radios and just buy something equivalent to the Edge Router X. I can dream right? :)

There are other forum members around running Asus routers with Asuswrt-Merlin as wired router and something else for Wi-Fi. I've seen Omada setup like yours, Google Wifi, Amazon eero, different Cisco, Zyxel, Ubiquiti, Netgear APs with or without PoE. It's a matter of choice. There are options. If you want to experiment look at the device below. It's not expensive, runs on OpenWrt, friendly UI, multiple VPN options, built-in AdGuard Home, very power efficient. No VLAN support, but may make good home gateway.