What's new

Am I wasting my money buying the Asus Raptor AC5300 with only getting 20mb internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marlin

New Around Here
Just bought a new house and sign on Thursday and am in need of purchasing a new router. I am going from 1GB internet in the city to just outside of city limits. And of course My Dream house is one mile past the cut off point where the Cable Company cuts off and doesn't service yet. They are expanding they say, but will have to wait and see. Best internet I could get in 20MB. The new house is two story and I am thinking of running cat6 to a Master Bedroom and Living Room. I am a gamer and we do stream movies sometimes. House is 2300 sf. That being said here are some questions I need help with.

With only getting 20 MB internet is purchasing the Asus Raptor GT-AC5300 Overkill?

Is it better to have the router downstairs for best signal on wifi thru house or upstairs?

What do you think about the powerline adaptors?

Last edited:
ISP speeds are not quoted in MB and you referred to "1GB internet" which is all but impossible to a residence.

20 Mb = 20 Mbits/s (not 20 MB = 20 Mbytes/s = 160 Mbits/s).

Yes you are correct. I always get confused with this, but yes 20 Mb

are you only subscribed to 20mb? I think it is pointless I pay for 150mb which actually turns out being 180 wired, but I have the RT-AC5300 and I only get that on the 5ghz band. the 2.4ghz band I only get 50mb tops if that.

20 is the max I can get. The provider I have to use before I can get cable might have 50 available soon, but I’m working on the Cable company so I am trying to buy a router for the near future. I am hard wiring my office to this router which is an easy run.

i never considered my CCR1036 to be a waste on 100Mb/s internet despite the device capable of 10Gb/s symmetrical using software NAT and QoS, something no consumer router can do. If you have the money and want to make use of the device other than just as a router by all means get it.
Heres what you can do with that router other than just being a wifi router. It has good WLAN speeds(2x MUMIMO wifi), LACP on 2 ports if you plan to have a server with 2 ports too or NAS. So its very good for lots of LAN traffic.
You can use the other features it offers, such as QoS
You can install RMerlin firmware and:
Use IPtables as a better firewall
implement DNS blocking with scripts
implement more scripts
Use a software repository and enjoy some common linux things that can speed things up on your crappy internet (many asus routers can do this), by using squid transparent proxy cache setup
Make the router into a file server

If you have the money and you want to spend it rather than use it for something else, by all means go ahead, but if you just use the internet and do nothing on LAN, consider getting a lesser router and using your money elsewhere.

MIPS based router will do 100Mb/s of software NAT so i wouldnt worry.

I was using the cable/modem one from cable company. I do not have one for new house yet

If your past use of ISP equipment on 1 Gbps service was satisfactory, the GT-AC5300 on 20 Mbps DSL? service could be overkill at this time.

The best location for a WiFi AP is central, high, and in the open.

Powerline adapters can work and can be troublesome. Google it.

Another option could be one or two RT-AC86Us. Ideally, you'd want to wire your media center to the router. And, you'd want to be able to put the DSL? gateway in bridge mode.

A second 86U can be used in repeater mode or media bridge mode or as an AiMesh node to extend WiFi coverage (node upstairs, node downstairs). Others here with specific configuration experience may comment.

FYI ASUS AiMesh April 2018 Bundle MIR-US.

OE

If your past use of ISP equipment on 1 Gbps service was satisfactory, the GT-AC5300 on 20 Mbps DSL? service could be overkill at this time.

The best location for a WiFi AP is central, high, and in the open.

Powerline adapters can work and can be troublesome. Google it.

Another option could be one or two RT-AC86Us. Ideally, you'd want to wire your media center to the router. And, you'd want to be able to put the DSL? gateway in bridge mode.

A second 86U can be used in repeater mode or media bridge mode or as an AiMesh node to extend WiFi coverage (node upstairs, node downstairs). Others here with specific configuration experience may comment.

FYI ASUS AiMesh April 2018 Bundle MIR-US.

OE
Thank you for your response. DSL is offered but only at 5Mbps so I couldn’t do dsl. Having to go with fixed wireless internet from local company. I am going to go ahead and hardwire everything I believe. My goal is to minimize all internet speed loss. At only getting 20Mbps and that being what they advertise I’ll will probably be getting about 10Mps. The family doesn’t utilize the internet like I do so I like the Gt5300 gaming options and I’m going to make sure my computer gets a dedicated amount and let them have the rest.
I figured starting with this and then adding another router upstairs and hardwiring that too. Then use the aimesh to let them use some of the WiFi. Last thing I want is them 3 others in the family using my internet lol. I’m very selfish

overkill

it sounds like you dont have a lot of intra lan traffic.

you might not be able to get signal to all points in the house in which case you may need multiple routers or access points. but not particularly fast ones.

overkill is entirely fine, i mean i use a titan xp for gaming, use a 36 core router on a 100Mb/s WAN. Might be overkill but its up to you how you want to spend your money. Even though my case is valid (render server and more), it is entirely up to you.

Besides lots of features the router offers that you can make use as well.

Its like saying hypercars are pointless on the road. If you can afford one, it is entirely up to you.

overkill is entirely fine, i mean i use a titan xp for gaming, use a 36 core router on a 100Mb/s WAN. Might be overkill but its up to you how you want to spend your money. Even though my case is valid (render server and more), it is entirely up to you.

Besides lots of features the router offers that you can make use as well.

Its like saying hypercars are pointless on the road. If you can afford one, it is entirely up to you.

Yes that is what I was thinking. Thx