What's new

Amazon return policy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronald Schwerer

Very Senior Member
I still have until Jan 31 to return it to Amazon. I don't like to give up easily but this again seems like an untroubleshootable issue.
Sorry to digress with your issue but I've been meaning to jump-in and ask for clarification the next time I read similar statements about Amazon's returns policy. Is there more beyond this statement re: Free returns? "Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition: no shipping charges".

So it seems to me that doesn't cover a "try it for awhile" situation. So if an item isn't defective, do you just choose the return option "product doesn't meet expectations"? In that case, do you get a full refund? Do you pay return shipping charges? I'm guessing these returned items get sold at a discount as used.

Again - sorry for the digression. Most of my Amazon returns were for mistakes or not as described. I've never used something for months and then decided I didn't want it.

I don't believe you can use a product for a period of time and then return it to Amazon just because you don't like it (unless it is unopened and as new). I believe that in the post you linked to the user was planning on getting a refund based on the fact that the router "didn't work as advertised".

I assume the reference to returning it by Jan 31 was in regard to Amazon extending their normal 30 days return policy to that date for items ordered between Oct 1 and Dec 31. In which case that would not be applicable for an item that had been used.

Of course depending on which country one is in there may be Statutory Rights which would supersede whatever Amazon's polices are.

Last edited:
Sorry to digress with your issue but I've been meaning to jump-in and ask for clarification the next time I read similar statements about Amazon's returns policy. Is there more beyond this statement re: Free returns? "Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition: no shipping charges".

So it seems to me that doesn't cover a "try it for awhile" situation. So if an item isn't defective, do you just choose the return option "product doesn't meet expectations"? In that case, do you get a full refund? Do you pay return shipping charges? I'm guessing these returned items get sold at a discount as used.

Again - sorry for the digression. Most of my Amazon returns were for mistakes or not as described. I've never used something for months and then decided I didn't want it.

One could write a thesis on how retailers operate.

Ethically, you choose the most accurate option. I'm fairly sure you still get a full refund and a free return label even if you pick "mistake", etc. Alternatively, you can choose defective and have those two things guaranteed. Are the workers going to test every returned product? Of course not. I doubt they even look inside the box. You can extort their carelessness further. Order a new item, put your broken one in, and return the new one as "defective".

At some point, they'll catch on. Refunds will not be processed automatically. You'll have to chat with them. If you keep it up, you get banned, and your name, address, and other information get put on a list.

As for my case, I consider the defective option to be most accurate, simply because there are other users with essentially an identical setup without the same problem. Amazon, in theory, should not resell a defective product as "used". They should return it to ASUS.

Are the workers going to test every returned product? Of course not. I doubt they even look inside the box.
There was a good exposé on what happens to returned items a couple weeks back on CBC Marketplace (in Canada). Apparently it is too costly to process many returns so they end up in landfills.

I do not and will not use or support Amazon.