What's new

AMPDU RTS setting On, or Off?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iFrogMac

Hey all,
quick question. Asus has a setting under professional labeled AMPDU RTS. When I've googled this setting, it always references another setting called "Optimized AMDPU Aggregation". Typically this is suggested to leave disabled, and for me it's also disabled. My question is, should I also disable the AMPDU RTS setting as well, since the optimize setting is off? It sounds like the setting in question is only good for the setting that's disabled.

By the way, changing my DHCP lease time seems to have fixed my random disconnects.

Thanks again for any feedback.

By the way, changing my DHCP lease time seems to have fixed my random disconnects.

Was this discussed somewhere here... I'd like to review it to see what was fixed?

OE

Was this discussed somewhere here... I'd like to review it to see what was fixed?

OE
This personal issue was mainly resolved on my own since no one I've asked about it really had any useful feedback that helped. Basically what I did is went back to my TP-Link AX4400 router, and observed it's settings and behavior after not being able to resolve the issue with the RT-AX86U.

The Asus defaults to a lease time of 24 hours. The TP-Link defaults to a lease time of 120 minutes (2 hours). I set the lease time in the RT-AX86U's DHCP settings to 7200 seconds which is 120 minutes. It was the only thing left to try as I had changed all other recommended settings. So far no drops from any device. I was expecting that if any problems were to arise, it would happen after the first 2 hours of use. So far, nothing, and it's been a couple days now.

So, the bottom line is, I took a router I knew worked with my setup took note of it's default settings, and applied those settings to the router's settings (where appropriate) that I wanted to use. I knew it wasn't a wireless issue as both routers had the same signal and SNR readings in my WiFi app that i use to check things with. This was an issue where the smart bulbs would randomly drop off and not reconnect, but a power cycle would bring them right back. Which lead me to look into DHCP issues.

Last edited:
This personal issue was mainly resolved on my own since no one I've asked about it really had any useful feedback that helped. Basically what I did is went back to my TP-Link AX4400 router, and observed it's settings and behavior after not being able to resolve the issue with the RT-AX86U.

The Asus defaults to a lease time of 24 hours. The TP-Link defaults to a lease time of 120 minutes (2 hours). I set the lease time in the RT-AX86U's DHCP settings to 7200 seconds which is 120 minutes. It was the only thing left to try as I had changed all other recommended settings. So far no drops from any device. I was expecting that if any problems were to arise, it would happen after the first 2 hours of use. So far, nothing, and it's been a couple days now.

Thanks for the detail... I vaguely recall the TP-Link success but I don't recall you migrating the TP-Link lease setting to the Asus router. I wonder how the lease duration factors into the disconnect issue... whether its on the Asus side or the client side.

OE

Thanks for the detail... I vaguely recall the TP-Link success but I don't recall you migrating the TP-Link lease setting to the Asus router. I wonder how the lease duration factors into the disconnect issue... whether its on the Asus side or the client side.

OE
It would be interesting to try to find out. I wonder if it also has to do with TP-Link also making smart devices, while Asus does not. TP-Link may use a set of defaults more friendly to iOT devices, where Asus may not as much. I'm only guessing here though.

Something else I took note of is, TP-Link also enables wireless multicast routing by default, as well as IGMP Proxy, and snooping. They also default the v2 of the IGMP profile, with v3 as the highest option. These particular settings don't seem to make a difference, although I have snooping on for both 2.4, and 5Ghz of the Asus as well. They are different routers, and of course have different firmware / settings but I was looking at the particulars in common. I would say the TP-Link's hardware is most likely the same as the RT-AX82U. It's a TRI-Core chip with 512 MB ram 2x2 2.4ghz and 4x4 5Ghz I believe. I will mention that I looked at the lease times for my devices in the TP-Link's DHCP list and most were under 2 hours. I think the highest was an hour and 70 minutes. The other thing to note is: according to Wiz support documents, their devices use B, or G networks, they don't mention N, or newer. If I can think of any other details to provide, I will. For now though, that's about it. Hope this helps.

When I've googled this setting, it always references another setting called "Optimized AMDPU Aggregation". Typically this is suggested to leave disabled, and for me it's also disabled. My question is, should I also disable the AMPDU RTS setting as well, since the optimize setting is off? It sounds like the setting in question is only good for the setting that's disabled.
Same wonders here... By using RTS Threshold at 2347 it's basically turned off, since no packet will reach that size. Don't really get why "AMPDU RTS" is still set to "Enable", since it's not used. Maybe to make inexperienced users find the RTS Threshold setting easier?!

Also a setting called "Fragmentation Threshold" (default value 2346) was removed in ASUS Firmware a few years ago, which is needed to tweak these two settings together. Kinda strange move...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!