What's new

amtm bus error, pixelserv-tls segmentation fault

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DeejUK

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks, I had a quick search of the forum and found some old posts, but nothing I tried seemed to help.

I'm seeing an occasional "Bus Error" showing up while the amtm screen is printing, and trying to start pixelserv-tls yields a segmentation fault. As one might expect, pixelserv-tls is not running according to the Diversion menu. Occasionally when I'm trying to grep through dnsmasq logs I also see "Bus Error" printed to the terminal. A repeatable test case is to open amtm, select "ep", select "1", and then "Segmentation fault" is output to the terminal and after a second or so the screen clears and I'm back to the amtm home menu.

I'm using a GT-AX11000 on firmware 3004.388.4_rog (which I upgraded to with some trepidation in the hope that it'd help), and amtm version 3.8.

I'm not really sure how to proceed debugging this. There's enough space on all the disks, and I can't seem to find any logs for pixelserv-tls. I tried force-reinstalling pixelserv-tls via opkg, but that didn't help.

Here are the opkg packages installed:

Code:
bind-dig - 9.18.11-3
bind-libs - 9.18.11-3
column - 2.39-2
coreutils - 9.3-1
coreutils-base64 - 9.3-1
entware-opt - 227000-3
entware-release - 1.0-2
entware-upgrade - 1.0-1
findutils - 4.9.0-1
grep - 3.8-2
libatomic - 8.4.0-11
libc - 2.27-11
libgcc - 8.4.0-11
libnghttp2 - 1.51.0-1
libopenssl - 3.0.8-9
libpcre2 - 10.42-1
libpthread - 2.27-11
librt - 2.27-11
libsmartcols - 2.39-2
libssp - 8.4.0-11
libstdcpp - 8.4.0-11
libuv - 1.44.1-1
locales - 2.27-9
opkg - 2022-02-24-d038e5b6-2
pixelserv-tls - 2.4-2
terminfo - 6.4-2
zlib - 1.2.13-1
zoneinfo-asia - 2023c-2
zoneinfo-core - 2023c-2
zoneinfo-europe - 2023c-2

This all happened once before, but when I did a firmware upgrade that time it went horribly wrong and I needed to reinstall everything from scratch and re-enter all my settings (which was rather painful).

Any help would be much appreciated, even if it's just general Linux debugging stuff.

FYI there is a Add-On's subforum where AMTM and other Add-On scripts and problems with them are discussed.

Thanks folks, I immediately stumbled onto the other thread right after posting this one! Apologies for not reading it first, and for posting in the wrong forum.

I'm currently trying to backup my USB drive contents, then will give reformatting a go :)

Backing up your USB drive now may be fruitless. If you have corruption, you are only backing up corruption.

Just be ready to go a full format and start anew.

Since you're starting over anyways... may I suggest a really nice SSD/Enclosure combo? :p

may I suggest a really nice SSD/Enclosure combo?

I've got two Samsung T1/T5 SSDs plugged in for network storage, accessible via Samba and uPnP. Would it be possible to create a partition on one of them and have Diversion use that? Slightly nervous to do so, as all the family photos are on there :p (It's been on my list to sort remote backups for the last... Ten years?)

Just be ready to go a full format and start anew.

Apologies for the really silly question, but how would I do this? Option 2 in the amtm reset menu? Or flash the router firmware with AsusWRT Merlin and start from there? I'm guessing the mounted USB drive is used as the chroot directory for all the add-ons like Diversion and Skynet, and all the core router functionality is running from, err, the storage built into the router?

Sorry for the uninformed questions. I've done enough IT work to be dangerous, but not enough to really know what I'm doing :)

Possible? Yes. A good idea when you have important data on the T1/T5s? No.

I've got two Samsung T1/T5 SSDs plugged in for network storage, accessible via Samba and uPnP. Would it be possible to create a partition on one of them and have Diversion use that? Slightly nervous to do so, as all the family photos are on there :p (It's been on my list to sort remote backups for the last... Ten years?)

I personally wouldn't risk partitioning drives like that, especially with priceless data on them. Just dedicate a separate drive for the purposes of your router, so you can easily blow it away and restore if needed without needing to worry about possible data loss. I'm running a separate NAS just for this purpose, to have it outside of the purview of the router, so I can maintain/back it up separately.

Apologies for the really silly question, but how would I do this? Option 2 in the amtm reset menu? Or flash the router firmware with AsusWRT Merlin and start from there? I'm guessing the mounted USB drive is used as the chroot directory for all the add-ons like Diversion and Skynet, and all the core router functionality is running from, err, the storage built into the router?

Sorry for the uninformed questions. I've done enough IT work to be dangerous, but not enough to really know what I'm doing :)

To be safe, it would probably be best to start from scratch by formatting your SSD from within AMTM. But beware of your family pics... Once you've figured out that hurdle, proceed by installing entware and any other 3rd party add-on scripts you may have.

When I have to go through a reset, I typically take screenshots of all my important Asus/Merlin UI pages, and keep them in a Word doc. Then when the newly resetted router comes online, I go through, and duplicate those changes. Install entware, copy over my scripts (using WinSCP)... and literally, within 15mins, I'm back up and running again.

Late to the game as was tied up this morning, but plus one on @Viktor Jaep advice. Format a new drive via AMTM. I am not sure if the AMTM r option is smart enough to set everything back up while leaving your custom scripts alone or not. I have never used it. Maybe @thelonelycoder coder could elaborate on what the reset function does exactly.

Late to the game as was tied up this morning, but plus one on @Viktor Jaep advice. Format a new drive via AMTM. I am not sure if the AMTM r option is smart enough to set everything back up while leaving your custom scripts alone or not. I have never used it. Maybe @thelonelycoder coder could elaborate on what the reset function does exactly.
Enter the r option and the three choices are explained.

Enter the r option and the three choices are explained.
Thanks. We get choices! I will have to check them out sometime to see the options. Have always been timid to check it out is case I shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

When I have to go through a reset, I typically take screenshots of all my important Asus/Merlin UI pages, and keep them in a Word doc.

As someone that once wrote a book on continuous delivery of infrastructure-as-code, I wish there was something a little more automated that worked :) However, this is definitely robust in that it won't break when some dependency, API or something else changes!

Here's the help text for the reset options:

Code:
 amtm reset options

Enter option for more info.

1. Reset amtm.
    This resets amtm and its own settings.
    Third party scripts are NOT affected.

2. Reset amtm, remove scripts and Entware.
    This resets amtm and its own settings
    and removes all third party scripts,
    including Entware (if installed).
    Third party scripts WILL be removed.

3. Remove Entware.
    This removes the Entware repository.
    Third party scripts depending on Entware
    may no longer work after removing.

I suppose my problem is that I haven't figured out where the boundaries between amtm, scripts and entware are. Entware's a package-management tool, administered through opkg, right? Like apk and apt? amtm is the terminal UI, but what counts as "scripts" here? Is Diversion a script, that depends on Entware packages?

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

As someone that once wrote a book on continuous delivery of infrastructure-as-code, I wish there was something a little more automated that worked :) However, this is definitely robust in that it won't break when some dependency, API or something else changes!

Here's the help text for the reset options:

Code:
 amtm reset options

Enter option for more info.

1. Reset amtm.
    This resets amtm and its own settings.
    Third party scripts are NOT affected.

2. Reset amtm, remove scripts and Entware.
    This resets amtm and its own settings
    and removes all third party scripts,
    including Entware (if installed).
    Third party scripts WILL be removed.

3. Remove Entware.
    This removes the Entware repository.
    Third party scripts depending on Entware
    may no longer work after removing.

I suppose my problem is that I haven't figured out where the boundaries between amtm, scripts and entware are. Entware's a package-management tool, administered through opkg, right? Like apk and apt? amtm is the terminal UI, but what counts as "scripts" here? Is Diversion a script, that depends on Entware packages?
Correct. Any addon's you install through AMTM or otherwise is considered a script. You usually find their .sh files under the /jffs/scripts or /jffs/addons folder. Some scripts go pretty crazy, so if you do need to start from scratch, it is best to just format your drive, and start over with AMTM and entware.

Correct. Any addon's you install through AMTM or otherwise is considered a script. You usually find their .sh files under the /jffs/scripts or /jffs/addons folder. Some scripts go pretty crazy, so if you do need to start from scratch, it is best to just format your drive, and start over with AMTM and entware.

Cool, thanks. So in the worst case, if I do a #2 reset the worst case is all my Diversion and Skynet settings are lost, but all other router configuration (DHCP, OpenVPN) should be fine.

Cool, thanks. So in the worst case, if I do a #2 reset the worst case is all my Diversion and Skynet settings are lost, but all other router configuration (DHCP, OpenVPN) should be fine.
Yep, but you can save some of their configs, so you have a reference on what kind of settings you had... if you feel lucky, you could even try overcopying these, but it's usually best to just reconfigure from within their applications themselves, so that everything that needs to be touched/written to, is done correctly.

Diversion -> /tmp/mnt/<drivename>/entware/share/diversion/.conf/diversion.conf
But from within Diversion, you can also see other files it may use ... Diversion -> o -> sf

Skynet -> /tmp/mnt/<drivename>/skynet

Thanks again everyone for the help.

I did a '#2' reset, and then copied over backups of:

• /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/share/diversion/.conf/*
  • /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/share/diversion/list/*
  • /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/var/cache/pixelserv/*
  • /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/skynet/*
...and Diversion seemed to be happy, with pixelserv-tls able to run without any obvious segfaulting. The symptom that made me look into all this in first place was some hanging on streaming apps (ITVX and All4 in the UK), so I'll find out in this evening's televisual viewing whether it's fixed that :)

Thanks again everyone for the help.

I did a '#2' reset, and then copied over backups of:

• /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/share/diversion/.conf/*
  • /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/share/diversion/list/*
  • /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/var/cache/pixelserv/*
  • /tmp/mnt/diversion/entware/skynet/*
...and Diversion seemed to be happy, with pixelserv-tls able to run without any obvious segfaulting. The symptom that made me look into all this in first place was some hanging on streaming apps (ITVX and All4 in the UK), so I'll find out in this evening's televisual viewing whether it's fixed that :)
While you are making restores / updates: Entware had some updates today, so from AMTM run ep . @Viktor Jaep, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!