What's new

An improved 802.11ad, there is the new 802.11ay

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I cant wait for this to come out. I feel like I need a new toy to play with. There hasn't been anything new lately in the router world. is there an ETA for those 802.11ay routers to come out?

What about 802.11ax?

No idea... I thought I would read that kind of news here, then that Tim would tell us more.

You don't have to guess whether an 802.11 standard is legit. All you need to do is check the IEEE task group timeline page.

The task group was authorized in March 2015. Spec approval is scheduled for Sept 2019.

AY is next generation AD, operating in 60 GHz. The focus is to push link rates up to 20 Gbps.

Ok so a long way to go... I know 60 GHz wasn't so interesting for genral use because of range, looks like AY will be better at this but wait and see.

Ok so a long way to go... I know 60 GHz wasn't so interesting for genral use because of range, looks like AY will be better at this but wait and see.
Please pay closer attention. AY is next generation *60GHz*. It will have the same range limitations due to the operating frequency.

Please pay closer attention. AY is next generation *60GHz*. It will have the same range limitations due to the operating frequency.
I just read the article, AD goes up to 40 feet while 2 x AY devices should be able to talk to each others up to 100 feet. That's improved range event if wall blocked. :)

I just read the article, AD goes up to 40 feet while 2 x AY devices should be able to talk to each others up to 100 feet. That's improved range event if wall blocked. :)

Physics are what they are - even a piece of paper will block 60GHz, irregardless of what's driving things...

There's science, and then there is marketing...

Is anyone actually using 11ad?

11ad/11ay sure looks nice on paper (not necessarily through it, ba dum ts) and could be handy for some situations but I personally see 11ax as way more interesting.

Notice the use of the word "unimpeded" when applied to the range of 802.11ay. That means open space, does not go through walls or floors, or even furniture like a bookcase on the back of a table or desk, the usual for 60GHz. I would imagine that there are some applications for this, but too limited to matter to me, personally *smile*.

I rather see the 802.3bz standard over 2.5Gbps Cat 5e and 5Gbps over Cat 6 over wifi.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!