What's new

Analysis tool for Hyper backup log files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

floorstadler

New Around Here
Hi all,

I could not resist writing a tool to analyze Hyper backup log files.

The trigger for this development was the fact that a Synology Hyperbackup logfile is hardly readable. This is very understandable as Hyperbackup is and needs to be a multitasking tool.

This tool provides insights for the perfect settings of as well as a sound understanding of the performance and behavior of your Hyperbackup configuration.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This tool is basically an Excel worksheet with a pretty extensive macro. You will have to allow the execution of the macro once you load the Excel file. None of the code is protected, you are fully free to review and alter the code (even before execution). Due to the general sensitivity of Excel macros, I calculated SLA-1 hashes.

I had put the Excel macro file to filedropper. I received a warning that my files had been hacked and now is trying to install a virus on your machine. Therefore I removed the link to the file from this posting in January 2023. You can send me an e-mail, in case you'd be interested in receiving it. As soon as I will find time, I will bring it to Github.
The SLA-1 hash of the tool is 45ddf2459d99638dfbc7096bc61cc93447c1210d

The same is valid for the documentation as a .pdf.
The SLA-1 hash of the documentation is 1218815bdc716f283ebc31bcd879ebf0e745fbe8

------------------------------------------------------------------

What does the tool actually do?

The tool parses the Hyperbackup logfile and generates a number of output sheets.

- An overview sheet (“TOC & Instructions for use”) with a clickable summary of all “Backup tasks” including some counters. Here you also can find the buttons to start the analysis, change the settings, read the documentation, etc.

- An overall sheet (“All Events - All Tasks”) with all “Tasks” in which the related start “Event” and the finished (or failed) “Event” are put into one row. Also, the messages in the log file are parsed and added to the row of the event.

- An individual task sheet for each "Backup task”, again with one row per “Task”.

Author: Florian Stadler, The Netherlands

You can reach me under the E-mail (especially set-up for this tool): hyperbackupanalysistool@gmail.com or via an answer in this forum.

Please contact me if you have questions, encounter logfile entries that are not yet covered, encounter problems, or find bugs....

Feel free to fork this tool and make your own version of it.
In case I will be able to provide updates for functional enhancements and bug fixes, I will post the updated tool again on this forum

This tool has no copyright, but a right to copy. Donations are still welcome, though :)

Development:

- The development of this analysis tool took place on a Windows 10 machine with Excel 2016Pro. The source for the Hyperbackup logfiles that were used for testing is a DS213j NAS with DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 5.

- I still did not find the time to update the tool for a DSM-7 environment (as per January 2023)

- Some error handling has been built-in in case unknown messages would be encountered in your Hyperbackup logfile.

Attachments

• HyperBackupLog - Analysis - DocumentationV1.1.1.pdf
    418.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!