android phone usb tethering does not work on asus rt-n66w

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

hans19922

New Around Here
hello all,
I tried to connect to my android smartphone via usb on my out router rt-n66w. However, I can not get an internet connection. can you help me?
Unbenannt.PNG

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
What have you configured under USB Application > 3G/4G > USB Modem / USB Tethering ?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Check that USB tethering is still activated on the smartphone.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
If you click on the 3G button does it give you any more information?

Untitled.png

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Sorry, I'm out of ideas. This has worked for me on my RT-AC68U but I've never tried it on an RT-N66W. When I used it I did notice that the phone's connection to the internet needs to be very good otherwise it doesn't work properly.

Habna

New Around Here
This seems to be a problem with the firmware. As reported here, the latest release made Android USB tethering impossible for me - but John's Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS fork works fine.

I think that your RT-N66W is probably the white version of my RT-N66U (?); if so that may be an option.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Does it make a difference to use English in the router? Maybe a possible language bug?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
He changed it to English.
His screenshot shows the same language as before. If John is going to be able to fix this problem he needs to know exactly what steps were involved to make this work.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@ColinTaylor, I noticed that and deleted my post. But not before you had quoted me. :)

But now I'm thinking he may have simply uploaded the same screen snip by accident?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
i downloaded the latest firmware from here. the link for the firmware habna sent me worked.
Thanks. So the new firmware version did work then? You said in post #11 "the same problem still exists".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!