What's new

Anonymous device only showing on asus android app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moosehead

New Around Here
Noticed a strange user that is showing up using my 2.4. It only shows up in the app and not if I connect to my routers ip address.
I blocked internet access as soon as I saw it. The app does not show an ip address, only a mac address. c2:ff:d4:be:9d:8a

Should I be concerned?

Router RT ac68u.
Latest stock asus firmware 384.32799
650a1a6609aaa1ffdafbfe2f6cfc4abd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is the Netgear's MAC address the same except that the leading C0 has changed to C2? Or maybe this:

https://kb.netgear.com/24806/How-ca...-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-to-setup-an-Access-List
Maybe. I am using a netgear extender.
The last 3 number groups are the same. The first 3 are different.
The thing is I have been using the extender for about a year, and the asus router for a couple months. This just started showing up recently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe. I am using a netgear extender.
The last 3 number groups are the same. The first 3 are different.
The thing is I have been using the extender for about a year, and the asus router for a couple months. This just started showing up recently.
Then it definitely sounds like it's the Netgear changing the client's MAC address as explained in that article. You'd have to check the documentation for your specific Netgear product and cross reference it with the MAC addresses of the devices connected to the repeater to be absolutely sure. Why it only started showing up now? - No idea, maybe the app got updated or something.

Then it definitely sounds like it's the Netgear changing the client's MAC address as explained in that article. You'd have to check the documentation for your specific Netgear product and cross reference it with the MAC addresses of the devices connected to the repeater to be absolutely sure. Why it only started showing up now? - No idea, maybe the app got updated or something.
The netgear router is a N300.
I looked at the admin page for the N300 and is shows the mac address and the virtual mac address.
It is the virtual mac address.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!