What's new

Anonymous FTP is Default?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
A little while ago, I had enabled FTP on my RT-AC66U running 374.33.

At work, I had one of our IT guys run a port scan on the router and it showed ftp as open.

So, he connected to the router and was able to do a password less anonymous ftp into the box.

In looking at vsftpd.conf, I see that anonymous_enable and a number of other "anon_" are set to YES.

Did I do something here or misunderstand that by enabling ftp I was opening the router up to the world?

(I have since disabled ftp!!!!).

In any case, should not the default be a lot of "NO"?

I understand FTP is very insecure even when using a password. If you are security conscious I would leave FTP disabled.

I understand FTP is very insecure even when using a password. If you are security conscious I would leave FTP disabled.

Thanks, I don't disagree and should have been more careful.

With that said, I am more curious about the defaults in vsftp.conf.
I am not sure if it is something I did when installing some things using Entware or is the default anonymous=YES really the case.... seems pretty dangerous to even think about enabling FTP.

Before enabling ftp, I'd suggest creating a /jffs/configs/vsftpd.conf file and using it to disable anonymous logins.

anonymous_enable=NO

If your ftp server is only used to serve files to remote clients and won't ever receive files from clients you can use.

write_enable=NO

You'll need to create a non root user in rt-n66u gui page and set a strong password as well. You can set read/write access for the user in the same menu. Set the permissions to read only for that user.

Hope this is of some help.

Simply enable "Share with account" on the FTP setting page at:

Code:
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_AiDisk_ftp.asp

This will disable Anonymous mode.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!