What's new

Another AC66U vs N66U Advice Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illus4567

Occasional Visitor
So I just purchased this N66U, but that was before I read all this stuff about AC. Bottom line, for 50 more I could have the AC66U? Oh what should I do?!

Hi,
If you have client devices capable of AC mode or planning to upgrade them.

Thanks. Yes, I'm looking at getting a new media player some time in the next couple months - something like Roku or WD TV or Apple Tv - will they be coming out with AC compatible stuff?

Thanks. Yes, I'm looking at getting a new media player some time in the next couple months - something like Roku or WD TV or Apple Tv - will they be coming out with AC compatible stuff?

I'm not sure about WD TV, but Roku 3 has wireless N 5Ghz. Hard to say if they plan on Wireless AC on their next immediate release. Unless you are doing file transfers or multiple device streaming, you should be fine with the RT-N66U.

I'm streaming 5 1080P videos at the same time with the RT-N66U and it does it flawlessly. No need for AC for multiple wireless streaming.

A lot of video files are around 2-5 Mbits, so even a single-stream 802.11n link should be enough. Stability is more important than speed in this scenario.

If you use 5Ghz WiFi then I would recommend the RT-AC66U....which has way better 5Ghz performance + range than the RT-N66U.

If you don't care about 5Ghz then I would go with the N66U.

Thanks for the advice folks! Yes, I think for my needs, this will probably do fine.

Trouble is now I'm getting terrible reception from my older Roku on wireless. I need to upgrade ... but new Rokus don't have optical??! Wha?! I'm not going to invest in a new stereo just to get HDMI audio.

Better run some cable to the roku... sigh... oh well. Any media player rock 5ghz besides Roku 3?

I have the RT-N66U and two Roku 3 boxes both using the 5 Ghz band one is 20 feet from the router the other is 55 feet from the router and they both get full signal and work great here.

I bought a RT-N66U for 99 UK Pounds, the AC equivalent is around 70 UK pounds more expensive and for the time being it is not worth the extra money unless you are going to gain something from the additional speed. IMHO

So I just purchased this N66U, but that was before I read all this stuff about AC. Bottom line, for 50 more I could have the AC66U? Oh what should I do?!

Don't worry about buyer's remorse at this time - 802.11ac has it's applications, but we're just starting to get into second gen silicon - in 802.11n terms, this is like pre-Draft 2.0 stage (802.11n had extended labor pains).

Give it 6-12 months, where we start seeing the hardware/software/drivers mature, then perhaps...

in the short term, 802.11n is very mature, it works, and it's fast enough for most folks.

I would stick with the RT-N66U for now, since Wireless-AC is still in its draft stages. If you really have the need for a Wireless-AC router, I would definitely wait for the RT-AC68U. It should be available within the next few months. Plus, there will be more products supporting Wireless-AC by that time.