What's new

Another "recommend me a switch" thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shasarak

Regular Contributor
I have a fairly simple home network. There's a desktop Windows PC, which doubles up as file storage. There's an Asus RT-AC86U router providing internet connectivity. The router is currently connected to an 8-port switch, as is the PC and half a dozen other devices, most of which are A/V-related - media players, blu ray players, TVs, etc. There's some other stuff connected by WiFi.

It all works okay at the moment, but I could do with a couple of extra ports on the switch, so I'm thinking of upgrading to something with 12 or 16 ports.

My current switch is not managed. I've never used a managed switch, and I have no idea what the benefits of using one might be - perhaps someone can tell me if I would benefit from one.

I don't think I need PoE. (Do I?)

Mostly I'm looking for something speedy, reliable and stable.

It does need to be relatively quiet - ideally fanless. Not too many bright, blinking LEDs would be a plus (but that's a low priority).

I can spend as much as is needed, but have no wish to pay extra for features I won't use.

Suggestions?

All 16 port Gigabit switches provide wire speed between all port pairs. There is no performance advantage of one vs. another.

Buy on price and warranty.

If you don't know whether you need PoE, you don't.

Manged vs. unmanaged
Smart Switch How To - Part 1: What A Managed Switch Can Do For Your Small Network
Smart Switch How to - Part 2: Security
Smart Switch How to - Part 3: Bandwidth Control

I've been using TP-Link switches for awhile. They are priced right and haven't given me any problems.

My current switch is not managed. I've never used a managed switch, and I have no idea what the benefits of using one might be - perhaps someone can tell me if I would benefit from one.

I don't think I need PoE. (Do I?)

Mostly I'm looking for something speedy, reliable and stable.

Something tells me you don't need a managed switch...

Even on the low-end, unmanaged switches are not blocking, so they're pretty much full speed across all ports, and even upstream..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!