What's new

Antenna Direction

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Davedave

New Around Here
Hi,

In the RT-AC68U manual it pretty much tells you to put the two outer antennas at 45 degree angles and the middle at 90. In my house I have the router in the very corner, should I ignore the recommendation and point the antennas just the direction of the house?

My RT-AC68U is all the way at one end of my house and I have experimented with several different antenna positions and the recommended positioning seems to be best.

Last edited:
Excellent, I actually spend some time testing tonight and I would agree with your results. It seems like even when I point the antennas toward the heavily trafficked areas, the bandwidth goes down.

I appreciate the reply.

For my router and my house, the best signal strength and bandwidth for 2.4GHz. is off the side of the antennas. For 5GHz., having the antennas oriented with their plane perpendicular to the direction of the client from the hrouter works best. So for me, I favor the 5GHz. antenna direction, since that one drops off quicker with distance, and the 2.4GHz. band takes care of itself.

I also agree that the 45 degree thing for the outer antennas and the center one vertical works best for me as well. I've done some playing, just seems to work that way here.

Have to agree with everyone here: a 'W' antenna configuration works the best for me and my customers too.

Good tip about the 2.4GHz vs. the 5GHz orientation.

I'll have to try this out and post back.

I am curious how the antennas are to be oriented when there are 4 of them ?
The next model - the 87u - has 4 antennas.

Probably still a 'W' formation - with two being vertical. The question is which two!

Vertical antenna's radiation pattern is omni-directional in bsic theory.
When three are lined up or positioned in such way the pattern will change creating some directivity. Can even line them in-line to make a
vertical Yagi antenna consisting director, radiator, reflector. Then it'll
have some forward gain and F/B ratio. One way of reducing QRM.

I am curious how the antennas are to be oriented when there are 4 of them ?
The next model - the 87u - has 4 antennas.
I would think the outer antennas in 90 degree angle to the sides
and the other 2 at a 45degree angle

if there were 5 the middle one would be the one standing upward

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!