antenna gain shipped with the router

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
The maximum allowed for the country where they are sold in, taking the RF amps and other important design choices and aspects into account. :)

(I would guess around 5dBi).

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Omni directional antennas of that size are usually unity gain, i.e. none.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I believe the antenna gain can be found in the FCC radio test report. So for example the RT-AX88U document shows approximately 2dBi:

Untitled.png

JGrana

Very Senior Member
Omni directional antennas of that size are usually unity gain, i.e. none.
Speaking of antenna gain, I have seen taller antennas on Amazon that claim 9dbi gain.
@thiggins in your experience is there any real world advantage as far as better range with these?

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Speaking of antenna gain, I have seen taller antennas on Amazon that claim 9dbi gain.
@thiggins in your experience is there any real world advantage as far as better range with these?
I have no experience with substituting antennas on routers. As has been noted, antennas are an integral part of the entire RF chain design. So I don't mess with them.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@ColinTaylor how would I search for the RT-AX86U, instead of the RT-AX88U, with your link? (What is the main site address)?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@ColinTaylor, thank you for that link. Half an hour later, I am still shocked by how ineffective that site is to navigate. Still don't know the identical information of the RT-AX86U vs. the RT-AX88U you presented above.

I haven't given up yet though. ;)

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
For 'closure', I've given up. :)

That website is just a tangled web of spaghetti and all I want is soup!