What's new

Antenna placement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don’t laugh.

Not laughing, the implementation is worse than anything I could have imagined.

Move the router away from the TV as already mentioned.

None of the links I provided above are worth anything until you get the Location correct.

The design of the router and placement of the antennas, is it crucial?
If you aren't having any issues, then no, the angle of the antennas aren't crucial.

there are four other AP in the house.
If you have network issues, and that's the only place you can put the router, then consider disabling its wireless capabilities and just use the 4 access points. Everyone's environment is different.

I have 9 db on the unit… they stick up about the tv about 4”.

I was thinking of putting a 4” solid extension.

First of all those aren't 9dbi. Advertisement by whatever Chinese amazon seller sells them maybe, reality, no. I certainly hope you made sure they are dual band antennas (in reality, not in advertising).

Second the signal on a monopole is going to come from about midway down the antenna, which is mostly behind the TV on two of the antennas and totally behind it on two others.

Third the electrical interference and heat from your TV are doing a lot of harm to your signal and your hardware. Heck blocking the heat escape from the top back of the TV could be damaging your TV too.

I would rethink that setup, you need to get better router placement before you even talk about antenna placement. Most likely put the stock antennas back on too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!