What's new

antenna question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

egeezer

New Around Here
I just unboxed a new RT-AX3000. Three of the antennas are fine, the 4th flops around. Additionally, I can only get 11Mbps throughput from my 300 Mbps internet connection on any ethernet port. I'm using using Cat6e cables throughout.

One guest network keeps dropping internet connection, requiring me to disable and reenable the network.
With all that, I'm sending it back, but can't remove the antennas to return in original packaging as required.

Is there a way to remove the antennas so I can send it back?
Thanks, EG

Sounds like the hex nut is loose on the sma connector. Grab some small pliers or wire cutters to grip it and it should come off. I've had this issue before with pigtails and adapters just spinning and took a socket wrench to them to get them to clamp properly into place.

The AX3000 and the AX58U do not have detachable antenna's. They are in fact not removable.

The AX3000 and the AX58U do not have detachable antenna's. They are in fact not removable.
Given that he's "just unboxed" it you'd think he would remember whether the antennas were separate and he had to attach them himself. :confused: He either has incredibly bad memory or a different model router altogether.

I'll chalk it up to bad memory, having unboxed it in the middle of the night after a long day working(although I did get the router model correctly in my original post). After seeing conflicting information regarding this model, I decided to check with Asus support rather than following the instructions you provided.

Here's the response I received today;
"Please be advised that the antennas are not removable. If one is loose, you will have to send in the whole unit to our Service Center for repair."
I have gotten a return authorization from Amazon.

As a followup with Asus support, I've requested a list of Asus routers with removable antennas for future reference.

Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:
I just unboxed a new RT-AX3000. Three of the antennas are fine, the 4th flops around. Additionally, I can only get 11Mbps throughput from my 300 Mbps internet connection on any ethernet port. I'm using using Cat6e cables throughout.

One guest network keeps dropping internet connection, requiring me to disable and reenable the network.
With all that, I'm sending it back, but can't remove the antennas to return in original packaging as required.

Is there a way to remove the antennas so I can send it back?
Thanks, EG
Update on removable antennas

On 22 AUG 2022 I received a reply from Asus support Re:a list of current Asus routers with removable antennas.

RT-AX86S
RT-AX86U
RT-AC66U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC87U
GT-AX6000
RT-AC65P
RT-AC1750U
RT-AC85MR
GT-AC2900

I hope this is helpful to those needing the information.

EG

This list is incorrect.

RT-AC66U and RT-AC87U - both EOL, not current.

RT-AC68U, RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 - they are current and with removable antennas.

This list is incorrect.

RT-AC66U and RT-AC87U - both EOL, not current.

RT-AC68U, RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 - they are current and with removable antennas.
Thanks for the correction. With your contribution, would the list be this?
RT-AX86S
RT-AX86U
RT-AX88U
RT-AC66U(EOL)
RT-AC68U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC87U(EOL)
GT-AX6000
RT-AC65P
RT-AC1750U
RT-AC85MR
GT-AC2900
GT-AX11000

I checked the email Asus tech support had sent, copied their list and pasted it in my post. My apologies for posting incorrect information.

With your contribution, would the list be this?

If we add older, but still used and supported models AC class or better, the list is actually longer.

RT-AC1900P*, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300 as examples.

* - this router is AC68U variant, but RT-AC66U B1 is also AC68U variant with non-removable antennas.

If we add older, but still used and supported models AC class or better, the list is actually longer.

RT-AC1900P*, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300 as examples.

* - this router is AC68U variant, but RT-AC66U B1 is also AC68U variant with non-removable antennas.
Just curious, I looked through the product descriptions on the Asus site for a few of the models but didn't find any mention of whether the antennas were fixed or removable. Is there another section I missed?

Thanks again for the answers, I hope this topic helps others with the same question.

There is information for some router models, but the best source is a picture of the actual device. Google the model and take a closer look. If you see something like the examples below - the antennas are obviously detachable:

1661626314539.png

1661626365665.png

1661626451264.png

1661626528412.png

All Wi-Fi 6E products are with fixed antennas by design requirements, as far as I know.

Thanks for the tip! I had limited myself to the specs and description on the Asus site. Also, I found I can't always count on Asus support to be accurate.

(I guess Google images is my friend, lol)

Also, I found I can't always count on Asus support to be accurate.

This is correct. :)

Big number of Asus router models are based on the same hardware platforms with major differences in body shape, software features locked/unlocked, RGB lights, number of external antennas, removable or fixed, color accents, etc. It is confusing indeed even for support people. If you buy RT-AX58U (AX3000 class), for example, it has the same internals as RT-AX82U (AX5400 class). I had a fun project in converting AX58U into AX82U, but donated AX58U before the planed surgery date. Some people executed successfully RT-AC86U conversion into GT-AC2900 with working 160MHz channel support, etc.

Interesting thread. One of the fixed Antennas on my RT-AX58U (actually it is an RT-AX3000) broke. I glued it but of course now it doesn't swivel.
Was thinking to replace with unscrewable Antennas.

This reviewer shows the inside of one https://www.mbreviews.com/asus-rt-ax58u-review/

So my questions are:

1. Can you pop off the tails of those wires on the MB like the little clips common on Notebook Wifi boards; and

2. Has anyone actually taken theirs apart to see how big the holes are at the back, i.e can I get a big backing nut in there or am I looking at gluing a bracket so a small hole can be set up? A sleeve wouldn't work as the plastic is thin.

3. Anyone know the type of snap-on connector on the board? M or F? Size? I can choose the Antenna end probably RP-SMP is most common, I can buy an Antenna to match M or F of the RP-SMP connector, F or M respectively. MHF4 seems common?

Attachments

• asus-rt-ax58u-6 (1).jpg
    asus-rt-ax58u-6 (1).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 60
  • u.fl-ipex-connector-ufl-sma-size-comparison.jpg
    u.fl-ipex-connector-ufl-sma-size-comparison.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OK, probably not a topic a lot of people are interested in but I’ll persist :)

I took apart my RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U) to check myself. 4 Philips screws under the pads, one has a “I saw you tampered with it“ pad on the screw. There’s lots of clips but working from the sides with a thin spudge then onto the back and pressing in the bottom half of the shell wrt the top part it comes apart reasonably easily, if done with care. No clips were broken in the dis-assembly…

The PCB is held in place by the top half only so the board is loose in the bottom housing (care holding it upside down). It is also held in place by the 4 IPX to Antenna Wires, which are Black, White, Blue and Grey from L-R looking down from the top. I measured their lengths (insitu) as best I could for replacements they will be pretty close, 15cm 12cm, 10cm and 16cm respectively. Probably get away with 15cm for that last one. I’ve found a source on Aliexpress for 10, 13 and 15 cm pigtails.

The connectors on the MB are stamped “37 IPX“ and after a bit of searching and measuring it means I have IPX Gen 1 (MHF1) ~2.2mm high female connectors on the PCB. The 37 denotes 1.37 coax (OD), which is apparently deemed relatively low noise compared to thinner wire.

Looking at my other Router Antennas, they are all RP-SMA i.e. without the pin. The pin is therefore on the RP-SMA connector, which I will bulkhead mount on the lower case. Using this detail I get “RP-SMA female to IPX U.FL UFL 1.37mm Cable IPEX Bulkhead Mount O-ring Waterproof” on my orders, for the right lengths. Cheap enough to get a couple of extra to cover mishaps.

I’ll attach photos over this and the next posts. I’m not trying to get higher gain or anything like that, I’ve read enough about these just to know I’m happy with the current gain. What I’m doing it for is so that I can swivel the Antenna that was glued, currently it only works in wall mount orientation.

I’d be grateful for feedback on what is the closest to the original antenna that is a user-mountable one.

k.

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5511.JPG
    IMG_5511.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5510.JPG
    IMG_5510.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5512.JPG
    IMG_5512.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Additional photos. btw eagle eyed viewers will see that one of the photos above shows an RP-SMA connector held up against the plastic opening of the fixed Antenna connector, it is just to eye in the size of the hole. I think following removing of the plastic mount, it’ll fit the 8mm RP-SMA in there ok, hopefully not too much play.

Attachments

• IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5521.JPG
    IMG_5521.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5523.PNG
    IMG_5523.PNG
    263.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5517.JPG
    IMG_5517.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The 37 denotes 1.37 wire (OD), which is apparently deemed relatively low noise compared to thinner wire.
Little error there. It's not wire, it's coax. Both it's inner wire and the screen must be connected correctly at both ends. Using normal wire would be lossy.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!