What's new

Antivirus for Windows 10?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

g725s

Occasional Visitor
Thought I’d ask here because most regular posters here are not only super helpful and friendly, they smart too.

Should I be using additional antivirus besides the Windows Defender built into Windows 10?

I remember reading an article awhile back on howtogeek were they say to use Malwarebytes in conjunction.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wh...r-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

Are they saying this only because they own stock in the company?

Thought I’d ask here because most regular posters here are not only super helpful and friendly, they smart too.

Should I be using additional antivirus besides the Windows Defender built into Windows 10?

I remember reading an article awhile back on howtogeek were they say to use Malwarebytes in conjunction.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wh...r-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

Windows Defender is quite a competent antivirus. However it does have some drawbacks. It has little in way of control or transparency in how it is operating. There is a tool for turning on additional protections. It is called Configure Defender by the user AndyFul from the Malwaretips forum. He has a thread that documents it’s functions, and will answer your questions directly. It basically uses a powershell script to turn on registry keys that govern WD settings that aren’t in the menu. There are other suites that are more user friendly and offer better control and potentially slightly better protection, but if you are a home user with safe habits they probably aren’t necessary. If you find Defender to have too much system impact I can recommend ESET as a light alternative, in current testing they have some of the fastest and beat signatures out there. Below is the link to the Configure Defender thread.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/configuredefender-utility-for-windows-10.79039/

Of course they want you to use Malwarebytes, they want to scare you into following their link, which if you inspect it is an affiliate link ......... they make money from you.

Look at where the embedded links point.

Code:
hxxp://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3607085-11971602?sid=ct225385

hxxp://cj.dotomi.com/o9105dlutB/lsx/AAIGAF9B/CF9G9HE/9/9/9?d=byoj%3Diz88B9EB<<nzzv%3A%2F%2F222.pjuwui4.ius%3AE6%2Firoiq-9C6D6EB-77FD7C68<<M<<<7<7<6<6<

Win 10 Defender is now on a par with all the top paid offerings and is now much lighter on resources, check the latest results at AVTest.

Many people I know use AiProtection and Win10 Defender , they have zero issues.

Windows Defender is decent, though not great. It depends on how much at risk you are as a user. Someone sticking to Facebook and their daily news sites would be fine with Defender. If you tend to browse the web a lot ore widely, then I recommend getting a more capable product, developed by a company whose core business is security.

My personal go-to solution (both for customers and myself) for antivirus is Eset Antivirus. Malwarebytes Antimalware can be a great complement to another antivirus (particularly Defender) since it tends to specialize in less harmful but equally annoying issues (namely adware/spyware). I used to rely heavily on Antimalware when cleaning up customer PCs in the past, back in the day where people used Internet Explorer, and got hit by all kind of junk just by browsing a couple of websites.

Windows Defender is decent, though not great. It depends on how much at risk you are as a user. Someone sticking to Facebook and their daily news sites would be fine with Defender. If you tend to browse the web a lot ore widely, then I recommend getting a more capable product, developed by a company whose core business is security.

My personal go-to solution (both for customers and myself) for antivirus is Eset Antivirus. Malwarebytes Antimalware can be a great complement to another antivirus (particularly Defender) since it tends to specialize in less harmful but equally annoying issues (namely adware/spyware). I used to rely heavily on Antimalware when cleaning up customer PCs in the past, back in the day where people used Internet Explorer, and got hit by all kind of junk just by browsing a couple of websites.
You can go into Defender and select Full scan or there is even an option to connect with Microsoft server and let it do an even more thorough scan. I've not done those before, but did this morning get it going before I left for work on one of my 2 home computers. Said 2hrs more when I left.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!