What's new

any ap only firmware for our devices to make them more stable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
wondering if there is a way to flash a ap only firmware on a ac68u for example to increase uptimes and realiability? i know we can switch the regular merlin to access point mode but seems like i always have to restart the devices once in a while, maybe a ap only firmware would increase reliability?

thx

wondering if there is a way to flash a ap only firmware on a ac68u for example to increase uptimes and realiability? i know we can switch the regular merlin to access point mode but seems like i always have to restart the devices once in a while, maybe a ap only firmware would increase reliability?

thx
The RT-AC68U with Merlin’s firmware is generally as stable as it’s possible to get.

Which firmware version are you running, when did you last carry out a reset to factory default settings, and how did you carry out that reset?

Regardless, the most likely recommendation will probably be to carry out a reset and restore your settings according to one of the respected guides, such as L&LD’s Manual and Minimal procedure.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

thx

There is no such thing as an "AP only firmware". If you switch to AP mode, anything that's unrelated to AP mode won't be running anyway.

The RT-AC68U is very stable. I had a customer who went with over 400 days of uptime without rebooting his RT-AC66U_B1 (same hardware as the RT-AC68U).

There is no such thing as an "AP only firmware". If you switch to AP mode, anything that's unrelated to AP mode won't be running anyway.

The RT-AC68U is very stable. I had a customer who went with over 400 days of uptime without rebooting his RT-AC66U_B1 (same hardware as the RT-AC68U).

Oh wow! I for sure gotta check my setup then cuz I always have to restart one of my access points or the main router every couple weeks when there’s a problem. Might be bevause I’m running 87u as the main router which isn’t that stable.

Thanks!

Might be bevause I’m running 87u as the main router which isn’t that stable.

That might be why. The RT-AC87U's 5 GHz is quirky.

FWIW, I am running a 68U in AP mode with ethernet connection to 86U as primary. Can't really say what my uptime was, but it was certainly measured in weeks when performance on the 68U nosedived to about 11Mbs - couldn't run Netflix on my Smart TV as a result. Speedtest was still showing 100 Mbs on the 86U. I rebooted and the issues went away. Both routers are running 384.13