What's new

Suricata Any else still using on device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New2This

Still using this add-on on my 88U, seems to be working, How many others are using this?

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 8.39.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 8.39.51 AM.png

I'd wager the owners of the newer AX and AXE series would stand to benefit the most...but not everyone is as security/privacy conscious of that around here - firewalling is about as far as most go. IPS/IDS might bet taking things a bit far for SOHO routers...but it's cool that they will run it!

Abit of an overkill but I do have a RPI 4 8gb laying here, just need to grab myself a switch

A router with 0.5GB RAM available after boot is a wrong hardware device for Suricata. It takes 1.5GB RAM on my firewall in light configuration.
@Tech9

I was just about to ask this question: What's the average RAM footprint of Suricata on an Asus router?

I should probably just go through and read all your comments in this forum.

Thanks, again.

Respectfully,

Gary

P.S. I still feel your nic should have had a hip-hop origin (opposed to sci-fi).

No idea my friend. Based on forum feedback I've purchased one new AX86U (1GB RAM) to play with and can't find good firmware for it for months. Asuswrt 4 versions back was good, Asuswrt-Merlin 3 versions back. Big disappointment so far. It's sitting on the shelf and waiting for better days. Folks say latest Asuswrt has broken GUI - the new 388 base with cartoonish look. I call it ToysRUs router. Losing interest in testing this thing.

No idea my friend. Based on forum feedback I've purchased one new AX86U (1GB RAM) to play with and can't find good firmware for it for months. Asuswrt 4 versions back was good, Asuswrt-Merlin 3 versions back. Big disappointment so far. It's sitting on the shelf and waiting for better days. Folks say latest Asuswrt has broken GUI - the new 388 base with cartoonish look. I call it ToysRUs router. Losing interest in testing this thing.

@Tech9

Hmm... That's quite the investment in an RT-AX86U to use as a paper-weight.

It's unfortunate to hear that the 388 version has taken a step backward.

I'm still running 384_19. It lacks all the recent enhancements, bug fixes, and security updates, but it's stable and has a working GUI.

Thanks, again, for your insight.

Respectfully,

Gary

Many people around were talking how great this router is and because I donated the routers in my collection I wanted to have something new to play with. I have one AC86U and one AX86U now and honestly don't see the greatness of AX86U. In my Wi-Fi environment older AC86U beats it in both range and throughput to AC clients. It has different issues though and stuck to 386 code firmware perhaps for marketing reasons. Asus won't be updating any AC-class routers to 388 code firmware, capable running it or not. AX86U is perhaps going for donation too next year. AC86U is too modified and perhaps will be recycled. They are not part of my home network and used for experiments only.

Oh oh and here i was thinking of getting the ax 86u to replace my bricked ac86u especially since ita down to $279 on bestbuy canada. Now what should i get to compliment my aimesh set up with one remaining ac86u and a ac68u?

Pick your poison and hope for the best. If you want to apply for 388 firmware beta tester - it has to be AX-class router. If you want stable AiMesh - all the same Asus routers on stock Asuswrt work best and with wired backhaul. If you want stable "mesh" with no need to fiddle with it - look somewhere else.

Pick your poison and hope for the best. If you want to apply for 388 firmware beta tester - it has to be AX-class router. If you want stable AiMesh - all the same Asus routers on stock Asuswrt work best and with wired backhaul. If you want stable "mesh" with no need to fiddle with it - look somewhere else.
Heres my thing, the unit is now 2 years old. You cant future proof i get that but likewise dont want to drop the cash and there is a better unit than the ax86u. I dont have gaming just good old fashioned streaming, 3 kids and the usual alexa and google device

Friend of mine got the AX86S, running 388 code- nothing but issues,unstable. Factory reset couple times, still having problems.
Just went to stock firmware that just came out, seems to be ok

dont want to drop the cash

The better newer hardware device is GT-AX6000 - more expensive, big and ugly. You're still facing Asuswrt beta testing process though. You get RGB lights with it as a bonus. Makes you feel better when you spend CAD400 on a home router. My advice for people needing more than single AP is explore other options and move away from home routers. Good SMB options start close to the price of home routers and are better long term investment.

The better newer hardware device is GT-AX6000 - more expensive, big and ugly. You're still facing Asuswrt beta testing process though. You get RGB lights with it as a bonus. Makes you feel better when you spend CAD400 on a home router. My advice for people needing more than single AP is explore other options and move away from home routers. Good SMB options start close to the price of home routers and are better long term investment.
Yes i sw the gtax6000 ugly is its middle name but still down to $319 with BB. Just need something in between ax86u and wifi 6e? Excuse my ignorance but whats smb?

Get one and see how it goes for you. Don't expect great AiMesh experience with this mix of routers though.

Small and Midsize Business equipment. There are AX-class Qualcomm based APs available starting from CAD150.
Cheers for this. Right now i have 2 rt-ac86u and 1 rt-ac68 u, the latter because another 86u died. It would still be a reasonable set up by ditching the 68u and having the ax86u as the main unit aimeshed with the others? The smb i would look at for sure to spend up to 280 cad for a device that last a bit longer even though i understand technology doesnt stay still for long :)

Last edited:
I know nothing about your place and can't recommend hardware for you. Also this conversation is unrelated to the thread title.

Yup fair enough thanks for the information so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!