What's new

Any good router for VPN from Asus?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ampicillin

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my current Asus router RT AC 66U. I have 1Gbps internet at home.
I am looking into some good Asus router which is capable of good VPN speed and able to handle different protocols like shadowsocks, wireguard etc.
I need a router that is capable of Merlin and able to get new updates at least couple of years.

My budget is 300-350$. Thank you.

GT-AX6000, ~200-250Mbps on OpenVPN, ~350-400Mbps on Wireguard, depending on the server you connect to. Asuswrt-Merlin compatible and fits your budget, 2x 2.5GbE WAN + LAN ports. The new RT-AX86U Pro will have the same CPU/radios, coming perhaps in October, 1x 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port.

The new 388 code stock Asuswrt comes with many Asuswrt-Merlin features + VPN Fusion with Wireguard in GUI. If you don't plan any complicated VPN configurations or custom scripts, everything else is available in stock Asuswrt now. It will be available soon for above models, in few months time.

Last edited:
GT-AX6000, ~200-250Mbps on OpenVPN, ~350-400Mbps on Wireguard, depending on the server you connect to. Asuswrt-Merlin compatible and fits your budget, 2x 2.5GbE WAN + LAN ports. The new RT-AX86U Pro will have the same CPU/radios, coming perhaps in October, 1x 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port.

The new 388 code stock Asuswrt comes with many Asuswrt-Merlin features + VPN Fusion with Wireguard in GUI. If you don't plan any complicated VPN configurations or custom scripts, everything else is available in stock Asuswrt now. It will be available soon for above models, in few months time.

Thank you. I have seen a lot of discussions on RT-AX86U.

Last edited: