What's new

Any issue using AiMesh Node more than Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dstingel1

New Around Here
I have a fiber connection near the back of my house, but we use the WiFi primarily in the front two-thirds of the house on both two floors. I don’t have any WiFi signal issues in the house but would like to extend my network outback where it currently doesn’t extend. I have an RT-AC68U and would like to add another using AiMesh.

Would there be any downside if I put my “router” at the back of the house (near the fiber connection and back door to reach out back) and my “node” in the front about 75ft away? Most of my WiFi traffic would go through the node. I’m obviously going to run Ethernet in the basement between them.

My primary reasoning is I could run ~10ft of cable from the terminal to my router and then 75ft to my node. Otherwise I’d have to run 75 ft from my terminal to router, then back 75 ft to a node.

I have a fiber connection near the back of my house, but we use the WiFi primarily in the front two-thirds of the house on both two floors. I don’t have any WiFi signal issues in the house but would like to extend my network outback where it currently doesn’t extend. I have an RT-AC68U and would like to add another using AiMesh.

Would there be any downside if I put my “router” at the back of the house (near the fiber connection and back door to reach out back) and my “node” in the front about 75ft away? Most of my WiFi traffic would go through the node. I’m obviously going to run Ethernet in the basement between them.

My primary reasoning is I could run ~10ft of cable from the terminal to my router and then 75ft to my node. Otherwise I’d have to run 75 ft from my terminal to router, then back 75 ft to a node.

The only downside is that the majority of your traffic will traverse your wired backhaul. But it will probably be just fine... being a wired backhaul.

OE

The only "gotcha" I can think of is that you wouldn't be able to have a guest WiFi network in the front of the house that was isolated from your LAN.

Th
The only downside is that the majority of your traffic will traverse your wired backhaul. But it will probably be just fine... being a wired backhaul.

OE

Thanks! That’s sort of what I figured but if someone knows otherwise I figure they’re likely on this forum.

Thanks! That’s sort of what I figured but if someone knows otherwise I figure they’re likely on this forum.

Only the AiMesh router can broadcast guest WLANs, so its placement may matter.

Spitballing... maybe a new 86U router forward on the first level and a wireless 68U node upstairs would do it.

OE

Last edited: